Things you miss about football since you first went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There sure was, but it was not as rife as it is today. People used to hurdle tackles or run round opponents, rather than ensure there is contact and throw themselves to the floor.

It was a different ethos for me. There was more of a stigma attached to diving or cheating. I remember England playing Italy in the 1970s and the fans and commentators going mad over the rolling around on the ground from the Italians. Tame stuff compared to the current breed.

I am probably looking back through rose tinted glasses, but I don't care. I liked 1970s football, it's what I fell in love with. We were shite then too.

I know what you mean and it was a different type of cheating with most skilful players doing a lot of very high hurdling over some of the challenges. :lol:

I'm glad i'm a sky boy

all this sounds absolutely f***ing shite

Go to any football pitch on a Sunday morning

There sure was, but it was not as rife as it is today. People used to hurdle tackles or run round opponents, rather than ensure there is contact and throw themselves to the floor.

It was a different ethos for me. There was more of a stigma attached to diving or cheating. I remember England playing Italy in the 1970s and the fans and commentators going mad over the rolling around on the ground from the Italians. Tame stuff compared to the current breed.

I am probably looking back through rose tinted glasses, but I don't care. I liked 1970s football, it's what I fell in love with. We were shite then too.
This for me anarl. Good post.

Some knockin a sunda dinner fart out and not being able to move

Those stupid kick offs we used to do at Roker where we would try and immediately knock the ball out to a winger and it always went out for an opposition throw :lol:

Standing in the Fulwell end kids section and when we scored running around the goal so that I could see myself on Shoot Sunday lunchtime.

Spot on. I remember the first time I saw it - I really thought I was witnessing a crime (I can't remember what the 'baddy' actually did - did he run out with a pretend gun or am I just imagining that?!). And the red and white striped dog (the dog wasn't striped, you know what I mean) always beat the one in black and white stripes in the jump off.

I also miss Z cars music, teams running out separately so you could boo the opposition, We Will Rock You, and getting to the match an hour before it started.

I don't miss standing at matches (probably because of my age, I think I had the best of both worlds, standing when I was young, sitting now).

I also don't miss being afraid to take my child to the match because of the risk of bother, the risk of being knocked about on the terraces, the risk of someone pissing on him, the risk he couldn't see a thing.

Yes!

After they did the display (police dogs doing the obstacle course) they seemed to pack up and get ready to go when the fella ran out of nowhere and fired a starting pistol catching the crowd off guard.

The dog chased him across the pitch and brought him down gnawing on his forearm, his plastered arm was hiddden generally by a trench coat.

The Fulwell End applauded the demonstration then at this point I realised it was an act..

Yes!

After they did the display (police dogs doing the obstacle course) they seemed to pack up and get ready to go when the fella ran out of nowhere and fired a starting pistol catching the crowd off guard.

The dog chased him across the pitch and brought him down gnawing on his forearm, his plastered arm was hiddden generally by a trench coat.

The Fulwell End applauded the demonstration then at this point I realised it was an act..
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back