Things you miss about football since you first went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roker park ,standing in the roker end getting cold and wet.running to the car to beat traffic ,jumping turnstiles .
Seeing toilet rolls thrown on the pitch as players run out

*Sitting on barrier at bottom of Fulwell End, just to the left of the goal
*Walking up stairs in Fulwell to finally see the pitch, will never forget that sight
*Queueing up for hours on end to get tickets for big cup games
*Losing a shoe in "the cage" when was a big surge or we scored
*Local lads like Anthony Smith, Micky Gray, Martin Smith, Davy Rush in the team, people you could relate too, not like wankers we've got playing for us now.

Standing, a togetherness you felt, the surges forward (f&ckin dangerous at times) the daft chants, the characters who were part and parcel of the crowd, shocking catering and 'toilet facilities' but that was part of the fun!! Basically the experience at home was on a par with the experience you tend only to touch these days on some away trips.

As a teenager I remember getting to Roker Park really early to get the perfect spot behind the goal only for someone to push infront at 3.01

getting pissed in the county on a Friday night and thinking it would be canny to go to Orient/millwall/west ham etc- lets get the Tennick bus. Waking up in London at 6am on a Saturday morning with a headache

Standing in the Fulwell
Cheap prices (including pies etc)
Ridiculously bad toilets
Blokes walking away from the match with transistor radios pressed to their ears trying to listen to the other results while everyone else tried to hear too

Never knew we had them, neither did anybody else pissing against the wall, by steps or anywhere you could find a gap.

getting pissed in the county on a Friday night and thinking it would be canny to go to Orient/millwall/west ham etc- lets get the Tennick bus. Waking up in London at 6am on a Saturday morning with a headache
This for me. The way football has become so sterile depresses me tbh. Buy a ticket,sit in your seat,don't shout,don't swear,sit down. The football in itself was so much more insignificant back then. It was all about the culture. Younguns these days will never understand.

Fuck me,I'm getting old.

My Big brother.
How green the grass at roker park looked under floodlights.
Knowing the lads in red and white would leave heart body and soul on the pitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back