Things you miss about football since you first went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Standing in the Fulwell
Cheap prices (including pies etc)
Ridiculously bad toilets
Blokes walking away from the match with transistor radios pressed to their ears trying to listen to the other results while everyone else tried to hear too
Gary Rowell scoring

The low profile nature of it all. It was never 24 x 7 stuuff in the media, the match ended, you went home and by sunday night any telly appearances were over, sometimes for a month and people got on with their lives. Now its shoved down your throat day in and day out. Things seems a bit more backwater and sedate.

It has completely taken away any of the enjoyment derived out of the anticipation and the feeling that a match was something special, an event to be looked forward to, to savour, that wasn't just the cheap throw away plastic import that it is now thats chewed up digestated and spat out quicker than you can say 'latest analysis'.

It's exactly the same as f***ing Christmas. I can't remember the last time I was able to look forward to something. You're not allowed to just imagine how good it will be, dream about what it will be like. Instead your force fed it all. And then instead of dwelling on what might have been after the event, you get told what might have been, shown what might have been, analysed what might have been on 24 hour rolling tweeting breaking news.

Scoring goals.. My first few seasons were the first few at the sol, entertainment value was a million miles ahead of what it is now

Standing in the Fulwell
Cheap prices (including pies etc)
Ridiculously bad toilets
Blokes walking away from the match with transistor radios pressed to their ears trying to listen to the other results while everyone else tried to hear too
Peanuts
Piss cascading down from the top of the Fulwell
The worst smelling farts ever.
Did you say miss or remember?

All of the Fulwell End, every aspect of it.

Halcyon days.

Oh and watching's the seagulls flying above the Roker End if it was a shite game.

Getting a little glimpse of the floodlights at Roker at a night game as I walked through the terraced streets and then turning the final corner and seeing her in all her glory.
The smell of tabs at the match.....bonkers but at Roker it seemed to have a certain smell
Walking up the steps to the back of the Fulwell then coming over the top and seeing the green expanse in front of me (again particularly night games)
Atmospheric games at the SOL
Early days of the SOL thinking, sorry knowing, we were a match for anyone
Standing
Not feeling like a leper for occasionally using industrial language when expressing my annoyance/frustration at goings on during the game

Bloke in brown coat carrying basket hoying bags of peanuts up to some guy half way up the roker end and getting it spot on every time

Getting excited when we expected more than 20k in the ground.
The bloke with the weird voice shouting prowwwwgremmm.
Reidys bar in the main stand.
Panda pop.
Pick and mix stand.
The pitch at Roker.
The Roker scoreboard.

Taking all the beer and pop bottles I could find back to the shops for their deposits back, and hopefully collect enough to get me in, and the bus fare.

If I only got enough to get in, We'd thumb a lift from Shields or walk up through Cleadon and Fulwell to Roker..

Singing Harry Roberts and Who's ya father.

Happy Days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back