Things you never knew part 3487

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah but the great library was actually at St Peter's which made it more of the centre of things. Sadly the importance of the monestry at St Peter's is a little over looked because being constructed almost entirely of wood there is now very little of it to see. Particularly after the Vikings burned it down around 860. Because there is more of St Paul's at Jarrow left a greater part of it being built in stone it attracted the attention of early historians and greater importance was attached to it- wrongly in my opinion. But I admit that Jarrow does have "Bede World"
So, my lord, does this mean that our application to be city of culture isn't as barmy as we thought ?

The ampersand "&" comes from the Latin "et" meaning "and". Over time the E and t melded together - the higher end of it still having a bar across from the "t".

It was also the 27th part of the alphabet. Kids reciting their alphabet up to the 1800's would finish with XYZ "and per se and". Again, over time, "and per se and" slurred into ampersand.

I could never understand why "&c" in print meant etc, but now I know.

Lots of animals have the baculum. Humans are unusual, as even chimps and gorillas have it.

Obama's father was Kenyan. You compared somebody who was probably Arabic with a mixed race person of European and sub-Saharan African origin.

My comparison was intended to show that someone could be not "full on African" and yet still black. Although Libyans today are largely Arabic we are talking about 1800 years ago. I fail to see what is "depressing" about this or how I "lack awareness" ?

The ampersand "&" comes from the Latin "et" meaning "and". Over time the E and t melded together - the higher end of it still having a bar across from the "t".

It was also the 27th part of the alphabet. Kids reciting their alphabet up to the 1800's would finish with XYZ "and per se and". Again, over time, "and per se and" slurred into ampersand.

I could never understand why "&c" in print meant etc, but now I know.

Etc, is short for etcetera which is Latin for 'and the rest'.

The Hiroshima bomb Little Boy was a 20 KT device (equivalent to 20,000 tons of dynamite) but it was so inefficient that the amount of Uranium which turned to energy was about the size of a paperclip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back