Thinking board games

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becs

I know deserve to be shot for thinking about Christmas!

I'd like to buy my Mam and Dad some board games that Dad can play to help work his mind after his stroke. He likes number or shape puzzles best. Needs to be games he can play one handed as it's not looking likely that he'll get use of his left arm in the near future.

Anyone got any sensible suggestions?

I can't think of many number based board games except dominoes (if that counts as a board game) or the related triominoes (3 sided doms). I guess most strategic board games have a mathematical element to them.

Would any of the German board games (Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Settlers of Catan etc.) be suitable? I can't remember how easy they'd be to play one handed.

Last edited:
Board games can become very competitive and I'd worry that after a physical disfunction, this may cause wider issues.

How about those 3d jigsaw puzzle things - like Palace of Westminster for example- whereby can be done one handed p, with two active hands or using one 'dormant' hand as a piece holder while thinking where the hell it goes?

I know deserve to be shot for thinking about Christmas!

I'd like to buy my Mam and Dad some board games that Dad can play to help work his mind after his stroke. He likes number or shape puzzles best. Needs to be games he can play one handed as it's not looking likely that he'll get use of his left arm in the near future.

Anyone got any sensible suggestions?

Depending on what you want spend, but what about a tablet device?

Puzzle games like Scrabble can then be downloaded as app form, I give my Mam my old tablet (iPad) and she loves it. She cannot use a computer but no problem with the pad. She has osteoarthritis and is limited in her movement, before getting the tablet she would just very much vegetate because she could not move about.

Now she spends her time playing scrabble, solitaire, angry birds and a few other puzzle types.

Depending on what you want spend, but what about a tablet device?

He's got the bigger size Kindle but he doesn't seem that into it.

He can't get up to his study, so we wired his desktop PC into the tele downstairs and he can manage the keyboard and mouse with one hand to read stuff on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back