This passing philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye? Ki wasn't playing at the time we played best.

We still have 8 of the miracle run 11, and they started today.

Mannone
Vergini JoS Brown ____
Larsson Catts ____
AJ Wickham ____.

In passing terms we miss ... (unpopular as it will be to say it) ... Jack Colback.
Really? His passing is nee better than Larssons

Will take time for Rodwell and Alvarez to bed in. Catts can't have good games all the time and Larsson is basically the Blond Pirlo - he will be consistently average..

We play 'pointless possession football'. There is no aim to it, we pass it around at the back simply for the sake of it. You watch other teams with the same philosophy and they have a sharpness, an explosiveness and drive in their passing. We take an eternity, never pass in front of people for them to run onto and have little or no movement.

Basically we don't have the players for it to work well and failed miserably in the transfer window to address the fundamental problems.

I fear a Mowbray at West Brom relegation where he was too stubborn to change from his style of play.

Mannone
Vergini JoS Brown ____
Larsson Catts ____
AJ Wickham ____.

In passing terms we miss ... (unpopular as it will be to say it) ... Jack Colback.
Man City, Mugs and Fulham he did though mate, tbf to the pea-hearted one

I find my heart in my mouth the whole time they're knocking it around, getting nowhere and eventually getting back to vito. There were a few occasions where we, for no reason, put ourselves in a dangerous situation for no reason. Sloppy, needless passes. Not finding it relaxing to watch!

I tell you what works for me, and I know it sounds strange but I'd recommend anyone who suffers from nerves watching us play giving it a go. I used to think that every time we attacked we wouldn't score, but every time the opposition attacked they would and it was killing me (sound familiar?), so I began pretending that I was supporting the other side. Obviously only in my head. It works for me because it makes you realise that the opposition don't actually look like scoring every time they go forward, and really there isn't that much need to worry about when you're passing it along your back four. It's helped me enjoy the games more, as opposed to dreading every little detail after the first whistle blows.

It's probably quite a difficult thing to do but if you can manage it you'll see that there really isn't as much to worry about as you initially thought and it does help you relax during the games!

I tell you what works for me, and I know it sounds strange but I'd recommend anyone who suffers from nerves watching us play giving it a go. I used to think that every time we attacked we wouldn't score, but every time the opposition attacked they would and it was killing me (sound familiar?), so I began pretending that I was supporting the other side. Obviously only in my head. It works for me because it makes you realise that the opposition don't actually look like scoring every time they go forward, and really there isn't that much need to worry about when you're passing it along your back four. It's helped me enjoy the games more, as opposed to dreading every little detail after the first whistle blows.

It's probably quite a difficult thing to do but if you can manage it you'll see that there really isn't as much to worry about as you initially thought and it does help you relax during the games!
I'll have to try and give that a go! Cheers!

I find my heart in my mouth the whole time they're knocking it around, getting nowhere and eventually getting back to vito. There were a few occasions where we, for no reason, put ourselves in a dangerous situation for no reason. Sloppy, needless passes. Not finding it relaxing to watch!

Wes nearly gifted them a goal at one point, but for the Don's quick thinking.

There was also another time, on about 85 mins, when, after pinging the ball back and forth for ever, someone (Larsson?) received it on the right wing about 2/3s up the pitch and had 20 yards clear in front of him. Could have turned and run, but instead pinged it back again - real chance lost.

Yesterday our gameplan seemed to revolve around Brown/O'Shea/Cattermole passing it back and forwards in own half and then as soon as we reached halfway line we would knock it aimlessly long or Burnley would simply take the ball off us, f***ing rancid football.

Other than the left back we have zero pace in the team, we look utterly predictable and it's terrible dire football to watch.

Wes nearly gifted them a goal at one point, but for the Don's quick thinking.

There was also another time, on about 85 mins, when, after pinging the ball back and forth for ever, someone (Larsson?) received it on the right wing about 2/3s up the pitch and had 20 yards clear in front of him. Could have turned and run, but instead pinged it back again - real chance lost.
Aye. We just never seem to be positive and go forward. Everyone seems to be facing backwards and sideways, and that's where the passes go. Like I say, I'm just waiting for one of them to fuck it up and gift the opposition a goal!
The only person who looked to be going forward yesterday was AJ, then he gets replaced by altidore. I say no more!

Its not just a personnel thing, though it doesnt help. We play with no pace or intensity till we have to. Then at times this season we have shown we can lift our game. Frustrating as last season there seemed s point to the possesion football, now no ones taking a chance, no one is driving us forward so it end in some very slow and predictable football.

We miss our loan players from last year who could pass and move.
Spot on pass and move. Our players pass and think their job is done.

Its not just a personnel thing, though it doesnt help. We play with no pace or intensity till we have to. Then at times this season we have shown we can lift our game. Frustrating as last season there seemed s point to the possesion football, now no ones taking a chance, no one is driving us forward so it end in some very slow and predictable football.
Aye, perfect example was when we went behind at West Brom. We had them pinned back and almost went on to win.

Mannone
Vergini JoS Brown ____
Larsson Catts ____
AJ Wickham ____.

I disagree, I think our best and only period of good football last season was the turn of the year when Ki was instrumental in our passing game. As for the run in, it was hardly good football. It was last ditch in your face defending for the most part which was required at the time but playing like that over a season would see us struggle badly imo.

I know we weren't perfect, but there were some games it really, really worked well for us, especially early in his reign. Our performance at St James was superb, as it was at Fulham. Even in games like Southampton, Man City and Cardiff, where we didn't win and were under the cosh quite a bit, I think when we actually had the ball you could see an identity and knocking it about.

Now I see nothing.
Man U away - twice when our passing and movement was a joy to watch. I think it is down to having big Conor as a target man that we've went away from the passing philosophy.

We looked the same for the best part of last season. Have people forgotten Gus stood on the touchline looking like little boy lost?
he never looked lost last season, it was just idiots on here that said he did, then all that was forgotten when we won a few games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back