Trouble keeping players at the club motivated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimario

Striker
It certainly seems to be the case; year in, year out.
I watch alot of Premier League football and over the last years I've seen no other team come up with nowhere near as many gutless lackluster 'performances' as our team has, 9 out of 10 coming away from home where the pressure isn't quite as big to perform well.

Poyet said a few days ago that there's a culture of mistakes at Sunderland. I'd instead say there's some sort of... let's use 'culture' again in lack of better words, of not wanting/caring to put in the necessary extra mileage and dedication to kick on when in a decent place in the table with a chance to getting places. Same goes after a good result or two. There seems to creep in a feeling with many of our players of not needing to work their socks of when the knife at a given moment isn't at their throats. Talk about a lack of ambition.

At most other club this doesn't seem to happen nearly as often, and it leaves you to wonder why. Frustrating is the world, at least for those of us who aren't completely content with just making up the numbers year after year like some supporters and apparently some players do. Don't get me wrong, I can live with ending up at 17th a season or two (otherwise I couldn't live with supporting SAFC) but then I would at least want to see the team compete every game. That hasn't been the case for a long, long time. You never know when the players are turning up for work, even though I think I've learned to do just that with a pretty decent accuracy.
It seems no matter who is the manager and what players we have; at Sunderland it happens year in, year out.

Thoughts?

Fuck them - we need to keep the supporters motivated and motivate new talent to come here.

That lot here should be motivated enough playing in front of a large support for £30k upwards a week.

Where does this culture come from?

we have turned over the entire playing personnell in the last five years yet the same comments were being made by Keane when he came to the club. we've had new ownera and managers as well yet the same shit is spouted. we buily a new stadium, new tarinin g facilities..everything has apparently changed but this so called culture remains.I don't think the fans have a losing mentality, though they have seen enough of it over the years.

Maybe its cos the word among players is that at Sunderland you can get decent wages and have a good gig without having to really be too arsed about things.

I watch alot of Premier League football and over the last years I've seen no other team come up with nowhere near as many gutless lackluster 'performances' as our team has, 9 out of 10 coming away from home where the pressure isn't quite as big to perform well.

Poyet said a few days ago that there's a culture of mistakes at Sunderland. I'd instead say there's some sort of... let's use 'culture' again in lack of better words, of not wanting/caring to put in the necessary extra mileage and dedication to kick on when in a decent place in the table with a chance to getting places. Same goes after a good result or two. There seems to creep in a feeling with many of our players of not needing to work their socks of when the knife at a given moment isn't at their throats. Talk about a lack of ambition.

At most other club this doesn't seem to happen nearly as often, and it leaves you to wonder why. Frustrating is the world, at least for those of us who aren't completely content with just making up the numbers year after year like some supporters and apparently some players do. Don't get me wrong, I can live with ending up at 17th a season or two (otherwise I couldn't live with supporting SAFC) but then I would at least want to see the team compete every game. That hasn't been the case for a long, long time. You never know when the players are turning up for work, even though I think I've learned to do just that with a pretty decent accuracy.
It seems no matter who is the manager and what players we have; at Sunderland it happens year in, year out.

Thoughts?
No, end of thread!

Where does this culture come from?

we have turned over the entire playing personnell in the last five years yet the same comments were being made by Keane when he came to the club. we've had new ownera and managers as well yet the same shit is spouted. we buily a new stadium, new tarinin g facilities..everything has apparently changed but this so called culture remains.I don't think the fans have a losing mentality, though they have seen enough of it over the years.

Maybe its cos the word among players is that at Sunderland you can get decent wages and have a good gig without having to really be too arsed about things.

That was part of the story on total sport the other night, lad said it has gone back years something along the lines of and i can't remember most of it but i will give it a go, but there was a lad on there who was talking about a cancer at the club that had been there for years long before short and co, talked of 2 players whom he new who had told him a story about a senior player had told this young player welcome to retirement as its a holiday club here and talk about how it was nice had a beach and everything

That was part of the story on total sport the other night, lad said it has gone back years something along the lines of and i can't remember most of it but i will give it a go, but there was a lad on there who was talking about a cancer at the club that had been there for years long before short and co, talked of 2 players whom he new who had told him a story about a senior player had told this young player welcome to retirement as its a holiday club here and talk about how it was nice had a beach and everything
I'll repeat again the first hand story about Robbie Keane's verdict on us when Reidy thought he was so close to signing for us "I'm not going there, it's who you sign for when you have no ambition left and you need a last big pay day", as told to a mate of mine who knew him well through Leeds and Ireland. I don't think the world of football see's us in any different light now if the truth be told...

i wish i had some thoughts on this, despite the number of times the same question(s) get asked we never seem any closer to answering them.
JoS, for all many say he is here just for his 'swan song' always appears to show some fight and willing to try to drive the team forward, rather like bally in his prime.
we have talented players, there is no doubt about that but they always seem to run around like headless chickens, not moving into space or in a hurry to get rid of the ball or even covering a lot of ground without actually getting anywhere or contributing a great deal to attack, at times it also seems as if they expect a player to be in a certain place and if that player is not there they look incapable of finding another team mate or it confuses the rest of the team so they pass it about until they are back to where they began, never having options.
although imho, i still go with the 'we are cursed' theory and think we should have a ritual cleansing of the stadium...lets face it, at the minute it is about the only thing they club have not tried.

I'll repeat again the first hand story about Robbie Keane's verdict on us when Reidy thought he was so close to signing for us "I'm not going there, it's who you sign for when you have no ambition left and you need a last big pay day", as told to a mate of mine who knew him well through Leeds and Ireland. I don't think the world of football see's us in any different light now if the truth be told...

so in that case it must be all over football that come to sunderland for an easy life etc?
what is it lack of ambition looking for second best, for just enough to keep us the supporters happy and therefore not asking tough questions ?

Motivation comes from good training, which leads to good performances

what about personal motivation, we have seen players come here over the years who seem happy just to show up do the smallest amount and take there money.

Last edited by a moderator:
so in that case it must be all over football that come to sunderland for an easy life etc?
what is it lack of ambition looking for second best, for just enough to keep us the supporters happy and therefore not asking tough questions ?
Probably not just us but it's fair to say you don't come here to win trophies or challenge for titles, and being seemingly geographically challenging for most we have to pay over the odds to get at best second raters, sad state of affairs....

what about personal motivation, we have seen players come here over the years who seem happy just to show up do the smallest amount and take there money.

I'll agree with your comment, playing for pride should come from within, however I'm sure these things should be discussed with coaches/scouts/chairman before money is spent, players work values/ethics etc will have a bearing on any transfer I would have through, however once at the club its up to the manager and coaching staff to help keep them motivated

Personally I think the explanation is much simpler. We've overspent historically (mainly on poor players) and this has led to a cautious approach being adopted by the owner and BOD over current spending. However, all that has done is compound the initial mistakes and has led to more poor players being signed. If that wasn't bad enough a series of poor managerial appointments and the imposition of novice DOF's has created a perfect storm........shit players being bought then being poorly coached and motivated.

We are just poorly run from top to bottom and have been for a long time.......fuck all to do with witchcraft or curses or even conspiracy theories about players seeing us as a retirement home.......it's just rank bad management of the club.

Well we have still had the weekly "beat the drum" and "must do better at ......." claptrap from some players so lip service paid to motivation at least the bassas

I would like to think that having spent a greater part of your life trying to achieve the level required to be a premier league footballer would be motivation enough. When I was a kid ( back in the Stone Age) I used to dream of what it would be like to run on to the field in front of 40 odd thousand people knowing that the only reason they were there was to watch and support the team you played for. Is it no longer the case that these lads feel this way ,and want to beat whoever they are playing , if not only for the supporters but themselves. To prove that they are better than the opposition. Is that not the essence of competition?. Or does being the best you can be not matter any more?

Thoughts?

there's nowt to add to that really,it's been discussed a thousand different ways on here,and in my op you're spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back