Ukuele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody got one? If I just buy a daft £20 one from Amazon will that do for a bit mess about with? Not like guitars where shit ones are not worth it?

I've been wondering this too, I figure it will be worth it to see if I can get the hang of it before investing in a decent one.

Can anyone recommend a good tuition book too?

No, it will be plastic, the strings will be terrible and the action will be high. Have a look on Amazon, you'll get a decentish one made of wood for around 60 pounds. I play a tenor which are a little more expensive as they are slightly bigger but there is more room for your fingers and they sound better.

I've been wondering this too, I figure it will be worth it to see if I can get the hang of it before investing in a decent one.

I teach the ukulele and have used this book

I've got four, cheapest and best of them was about £250
You can sometimes get lucky with the really cheap ones, but below about £100 they seem to be very hit and miss.

Got a brand knew one for xmas, not played it yet, need motivation to learn

Anybody got one? If I just buy a daft £20 one from Amazon will that do for a bit mess about with? Not like guitars where shit ones are not worth it?
Pay as much as you can afford imo
I bought one for about £30 and it's a bastard to keep in tune

You don't need a tuition book, you'll get a chord sheet with the instrument, two fingered chords aren't that difficult to play, just buy one and away you go.

I just got one for £20, I'll probably try it out and get bored/frustrated after an hour or two then give it away, if I stick with it I'll buy a better one later,buggered if I'd jump straight in and spend a decent amount for something to gather dust.

I just got one for £20, I'll probably try it out and get bored/frustrated after an hour or two then give it away, if I stick with it I'll buy a better one later,buggered if I'd jump straight in and spend a decent amount for something to gather dust.
That's exactly how I feel. I've seen one on Amazon that has surprisingly good reviews for the price so I'm going for it.

I was at a music festival a few months ago and I walked passed a tent where there was a uke workshop on and there was about twenty people bashing on them,the f***ing din was horrendous,will live with me for the rest of my days.

I was at a music festival a few months ago and I walked passed a tent where there was a uke workshop on and there was about twenty people bashing on them,the f***ing din was horrendous,will live with me for the rest of my days.

That bad it's caused repeating nightmares....

I reckon if you're going to enjoy playing ukulele you'll be able to tell from a £20 one, but you might discover its limitations quite quickly.
At least two of the bairns have £20 Staggs and both are impossible to tune properly although I cant rule out their own influence there, they wont have been looked after.

Aye, I've got a twenty quid one and it was fine for messing about for a bit, will do for a few weeks or months and probably better than spending 60-100 quid straight off.

Aye. a got one off Amazon, £25 or sumit. As long as it comes with the electronic tuner you're laughing. Loads of simple tutorials on YouTube.

No, it will be plastic, the strings will be terrible and the action will be high. Have a look on Amazon, you'll get a decentish one made of wood for around 60 pounds. I play a tenor which are a little more expensive as they are slightly bigger but there is more room for your fingers and they sound better.

I teach the ukulele and have used this book
Just wanted to thank you for this recommendation. My ukulele is great (for the price) and the book is brilliant. So easy to follow.

I just wish I had more time to practise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back