Under 21s tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also just back from the game (was with Fishboy) and I thought it was a very competitive and good game (by under 21 standards). Liverpool are a good side finishing 2nd last season and they had the better of it early on and seemed to over run us in midfield but we got to grips with that and in the second half we were marginally the better side. Overall the late winner was harsh on us.

Reading some of this thread is interesting with people posting the exact same way they would if it was a first team game. Its not a first team game and the under 21's is about experience and individual progression. Watmore seems to have been written off by many on the back of this game yet apparently clubs are lining up to get him on loan and our manager wants to get him involved with the first team. He is also recovering from an injury. Liverpool doubled up on him and we overheard one of the Liverpool coaches just after half time telling them to watch out for him in particular. Put him in the first team surrounded by better players and he might actually get more space then he did tonight.

I also wonder how many posting on the thread are season card holders and could actually have gone along tonight for free yet prefer to sit in the house and watch it on a stream or LFC TV? It always amazes me how a few thousand suddenly take an intrest and turn up when they play these games at the SOL yet nobody seems interested when they are at Hetton. Hetton is actually a far better experience for these games as you can get so close to the pitch.

Like I said entry is free to season card holders so why not get off your backsides and watch a few more games (not just Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea 0n TV) and give the young lads half a season or more (and a bit of support) before posting knee jerking stuff?

Also just back from the game (was with Fishboy) and I thought it was a very competitive and good game (by under 21 standards). Liverpool are a good side finishing 2nd last season and they had the better of it early on and seemed to over run us in midfield but we got to grips with that and in the second half we were marginally the better side. Overall the late winner was harsh on us.

Reading some of this thread is interesting with people posting the exact same way they would if it was a first team game. Its not a first team game and the under 21's is about experience and individual progression. Watmore seems to have been written off by many on the back of this game yet apparently clubs are lining up to get him on loan and our manager wants to get him involved with the first team. He is also recovering from an injury. Liverpool doubled up on him and we overheard one of the Liverpool coaches just after half time telling them to watch out for him in particular. Put him in the first team surrounded by better players and he might actually get more space then he did tonight.

I also wonder how many posting on the thread are season card holders and could actually have gone along tonight for free yet prefer to sit in the house and watch it on a stream or LFC TV? It always amazes me how a few thousand suddenly take an intrest and turn up when they play these games at the SOL yet nobody seems interested when they are at Hetton. Hetton is actually a far better experience for these games as you can get so close to the pitch.

Like I said entry is free to season card holders so why not get off your backsides and watch a few more games (not just Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea 0n TV) and give the young lads half a season or more (and a bit of support) before posting knee jerking stuff?
because its a lot easier to get to the sol than hetton

because its a lot easier to get to the sol than hetton

Depends where you live and I mainly direct my comments to car owners.

I travel 20 miles each way on public transport to every home game, so 8 miles from central Sunderland to Hetton is nowt to be honest and if you live in say Doxy Park, Herrington area its a ten minute run in the car and easier to get to than the SOL.

Sadly, I live down South, if I ever get back up home, I'll have a season card and be at every match I can, U21s included.

I saw a lot of potential in our team tonight, we were missing Honeyman who is a big player for us and Cabral looked a little lazy at times, only getting involved every now and then. Agnew looks a tidy player who needs some good competitive football to really step up, a loan to the top of league 1 or bottom/middle of the championship should do him the world of good, same for Honeyman. Smith has been good but looks a little inconsistent thus far, another season at this level should do him good. Tonight I thought Mandron was isolated, but still provided us with a good outlet and worked his socks off, he's going to be a good forward. Harrison at the back was dominate, McNamee looked shaky and indecisive at times, not sure on his development yet. Stryjek is a very big presence between the sticks and looks very good, some nice distribution, needs to calm down with the ball at his feet but he is only 17/18.

Think the keeper and the two centre halves looked decent.

McNamee looked horrendous. As always.

Cabral was poor and frustrating apart from a couple of passes. Watmore, and Agnew seemed alright, Mandron has a lot about him (holding the ball up, laying it off.).

Thought their #7 who scored seemed decent, especially on the left cutting in.

Ryan McLaughlin. Naturally a right full back, started on the right of midfield last night before switching to the left hand side, to right back and then back to the left hand side. Had a good loan spell at Barnsley, I think it was last year. LFC expect him to be pushing for a team in the first team this season.

Watmore terrible tonight, nowhere near the 1st team on this evidence.

Bollox. He was one of our best players tonight. On another occasion, he could have had a couple of goals.

There's only Watmore and Mandron who stand out.

Agnew and Smith are good on the ball, need some competitive experience that the other two have.

Mandron the only one slightly showing some worth. Don't see any of them breaking through based on this display

Was only the first game to be fair.

Last edited:

Hetton is a pain to get to for the majority of fans. Thats the only reason I don't go to see the lasses play. Why they can't play at one of the pitches at the AOL I dunno

We'll said

You must have watched the game on l.t.v with the bias commentary, they had the best of the first half, we had the best of the second, think there late goal was deflected in ( can't be sure as I was at the other end). We had the edge in overall chances.

L.T.V. were always going to be biased but did try to be less so.
as i was, i just think overall liverpool deserved the win, not saying we were over ran or anything and if that goalmouth scramble had resulted in a goal for us i feel we could have taken the game by the scruff of the neck.

Our right back had his hands full for the full 90 minutes. Thats one game he'll be happy to forget.

i used to get along to the stiffs, a lot of the time i only find out they are playing when i log in here....might be an idea if the mods (if allowed) can post up a sticky with any upcoming games?
also agree with the fact that it is a good game experience, being so close to the players and only really getting a ground level view rather than being up in the top rows of the S.O.L.
i did start to take one of those camping chairs along and sit up on the bank...saves the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back