Unlucky bastards throughout history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart Sutcliffe

Beatles original bassist. Kicked in the head in a fracas after a gig. Met a lass and decided to leave them to do art. Dead a year later with a stroke linked to the kick in the head.

Poor bugger. Could have been a contender.

If you read a little deeper he's only have been a 'contender' in the Pete Best sense - i.e. a good looking lad but couldn't play very well and wasn't that bothered. And if you read a little more you'll discover that the head kick may well have been delivered by one J Lennon

Do you think that he should have rested for a few days? I think he fought ASAP as the Normans were ravaging the lands that Harold owned.

Remember that the Normans weren't really French and that they had a lot of allies with them (and the blessing of the Pope).

William had a decent claim to the throne didn't he?
Ironically the Normans were descended from the Vikings who'd invaded and occupied what's now Normandy a few hundred years before.
I'm not sure resting might have been a good idea as William probably would have got a good foothold and you're right it was Harold's heartlands and the longer he waited, William's army would have simply got stronger utilising the fruits of the land. In a perfect world Harold would want to have kept him on the coastline as long as possible so he couldn't re-supply his army
I think he was unlucky in the actual battle as there were a couple of significant moments when it could have went his way which ultimately went against him.

After the plane carrying Lynyrd Skynyrd crashed, killing most on board, two of the survivors got out and went for help. It was remote country so they took a while, staggering about dazed and injured, to find somewhere. They eventually found a farm. The farmer saw them coming, assumed they were escapees from the local penitentiary, and shot them. (not fatally :) )

Stuart Sutcliffe

Beatles original bassist. Kicked in the head in a fracas after a gig. Met a lass and decided to leave them to do art. Dead a year later with a stroke linked to the kick in the head.

Poor bugger. Could have been a contender.
Poor old Stuart looked good but couldn't play bass. It's Pete Best I would call unlucky. Imagine having to live through their success.

Ironically the Normans were descended from the Vikings who'd invaded and occupied what's now Normandy a few hundred years before.
I'm not sure resting might have been a good idea as William probably would have got a good foothold and you're right it was Harold's heartlands and the longer he waited, William's army would have simply got stronger utilising the fruits of the land. In a perfect world Harold would want to have kept him on the coastline as long as possible so he couldn't re-supply his army
I think he was unlucky in the actual battle as there were a couple of significant moments when it could have went his way which ultimately went against him.

My understanding was it wasn't so much 'invasion' as settling. They seemed to quickly adopt the local language, culture and religion.

I only read recently that they established kingdoms in Sicily and Southern Italy as well.

My understanding was it wasn't so much 'invasion' as settling. They seemed to quickly adopt the local language, culture and religion.

I only read recently that they established kingdoms in Sicily and Southern Italy as well.
I think you're right,it was probably similar on these shores.

Can't really call him unlucky though. He should have just practiced a bit more.
he got a million quid in the 90s with the anthology sets - macca sorted it out for him - hence you never see him on telly whining about the beatles anymore lol

Aye poor fucker. Travels 200 mile to see a Viking army off and then has to turn around all the way back and fight a sly French fucker. Bastard.
ah but he wasnt french was he?

Anyone who had a season ticket in the 19 and 15 point seasons.

King Harold, that arrow could have landed anywhere!
but na! stright in the mince pie, in gans ya eye out! ------------> ;) hoya!!

That bloke on here who had a fish finger related breakdown then posted a video of some heffa with a paper bag on her head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back