'Value' beans vs branded beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not just beans, bread/tomatoes/cornflakes etc, owt that supermarkets sell as their own stuff versus the 'big' brands. Is it all really made in the same factories then shipped out in different packaging or is this just a myth?
Sainsburys own brands are canny due to their high standard of quality tasting/testing.

Weetabix make Asda Wheat Bisks. United Biscuits make Asda Puffin biscuits (and then made them take the picture of the puffin off the wrapper)

Not just beans, bread/tomatoes/cornflakes etc, owt that supermarkets sell as their own stuff versus the 'big' brands. Is it all really made in the same factories then shipped out in different packaging or is this just a myth?

personally I need to have heinz baked beans and coca cola but every other own brand stuff like ketchup etc I cant tell the difference, I've used lo-salt for years now too and couldnt tell you the difference yet its less than half the sodium content of normal salt.

Last edited:
I was told that the packaging of the own brands also keeps the price down cos they're plain and simple. Apparently when you start getting all fancy with pictures and colours it makes a canny difference in the end price.

I watched a documentary about a pie factory once and they used different cuts of meat for different pies depending on the price of the end product.

I avoid the really cheapo stuff which is made to win the basket-price-wars bulked up with cheap ingredients like sugar & hydrogenated vegetable oil/palm oil.

Aldi's normal beans are fine.

Biscuits mostly taste the same unless they have chocolate.

Sainsburys digestives are softer and have a smaller dunk to mouth ratio out of all the digestives. Asda Smart Price Bourbons are disappointing as they're slimmer than the standard bourbon and the cream is applied in rosettes rather than a continuous later. They also have a weird aftertaste. So does the vanilla cream in Tesco Value custard creams, yet Tesco Value Bourbons fit all the criteria of a good Bourbon.

Beans and vinegar are the only foods I would physically avoid someone if they were eating never tried beans and the thought of either makes me feel physically sick

Edit add to that ketchup

Beans and vinegar are the only foods I would physically avoid someone if they were eating never tried beans and the thought of either makes me feel physically sick

Edit add to that ketchup

What the fuck you been putting on your chips then? Nee Vinegar or Ketchup? Ya Boring bastard!

Corn Flakes are crap, to be fair.
I don't eat them myself I prefer Bran Flakes the same applies, supermarket equivalents don't match Kellog's, I did however used to prefer the Tesco everyday value beans but they've changed the sauce and now I'm not so keen.
I'm not a food snob, if there's a cheap alternative that I like then I'll eat it, but some of the cheap crap the supermarkets turn out is basically disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back