Whatever Happened To... Fernando Torres?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed on the pace bit. Reminds me of Owen - he was never the same once he lost that extra pace he had.
The thing with Owen though was he could still sniff chances out and find space in the box even when he lost his pace.
Torres just seems to constantly struggle.

Any deal that Atletico would do with Chelsea for Costa hopefully involves Lukaku or Courtois rather than Torres. Wouldn't be a mad move for him though I don't think, Simeone can hopefully sort him out.

Injuries ruined his career. He's clearly still playing with no belief anymore, I know he's still earning £100k+ a week but I do feel sorry for him a bit, he was such a good player and now he's just average, that must be so frustrating.
It's quite sad really. His first season at Liverpool, he was genuinely one of the best strikers I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant.

Still, the way Chelsea play/played pace means fuck all!

I reckon he'd gave scored 20 in all comps at Liverpool this season mind, the way they play is set up for him.
Couldn't see him getting in the Liverpool team, you've gone and picked the team that uses pace more than any other in the league! With Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho their attack is ridiculously fast but also agile. And look where they are. Defenders can't live with it.

I remember Torres being the major difference between us and Liverpool when we played them at home in the 08/09 season, capitalising on a minor mistake by Nosworthy to smash one into the bottom corner from about twenty yards. He was fast, he was strong, he was one of the best strikers in the world.

What the fuck happened to the lad?
Whatever happened to real people starting real treads??

True. It's so weird seeing him play nowadays, just a shadow of what he used to be. Sounds daft but he even runs with the ball differently now, like he hasn't got it under control. I was watching a video of him scoring for Liverpool the other week, he was the best striker in the world at the time IMO.

Spot on.

I'm not so sure that it's simply that his pace has gone, his whole body language has changed and he now looks positively arthritic compared to his Liverpool pomp.

It doesn't help that he seems to have replaced the confidence bordering-on-arrogance that all the best strikers have with the permanent petulance of someone struggling to work out where it all went wrong.

He went from being probably the best striker in the world to being a joke figure who cant control a ball in about a year and half. Injuries and confidence is the obvious answer. Amazing really as he should have been in his peak years at Chelsea even with the problems he had..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back