Who was the last top centre midfielder to play for SAFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenden, Cana, Schwarz, Hutchison. Depends on what you mean by top really.

If you mean Premiership class then cattermole played last week
Zenden and Schwarz were to all intents and purposes finished by the time they got here.
Zenden was a bit part player and while he showed the odd nice touch, he'sd lost whatever pace he had and he was unable to go for a full 90 minutes.
Schwarz had injury problems and also fell out with reid and it shows given the time he was here, some nice touches but again his best years well behind him
Cana was a defensive midfielder, not a creative bone in his body and it says it all that Meyler was keeping him before a season expired
Hutchison I'd class as a player with guile but not really top

I always liked eric roy, but he was another that reid fell out with . He oozed class etc, maybe lacked a bit of pace.
Reyna was good but made of balsa wood unfortunately

Sad indictment all in all

Depends what you mean by 'top' and 'centre'

You young uns won't remember Kerr who was top class for us in his prime but if you are talking enjoyment for me it's gotta be Steed. I don't care that some will come along and say he didn't create enough or score but he was a joy to watch.

Zenden and Schwarz were to all intents and purposes finished by the time they got here.
Zenden was a bit part player and while he showed the odd nice touch, he'sd lost whatever pace he had and he was unable to go for a full 90 minutes.
Schwarz had injury problems and also fell out with reid and it shows given the time he was here, some nice touches but again his best years well behind him
Cana was a defensive midfielder, not a creative bone in his body and it says it all that Meyler was keeping him before a season expired
Hutchison I'd class as a player with guile but not really top

I always liked eric roy, but he was another that reid fell out with . He oozed class etc, maybe lacked a bit of pace.
Reyna was good but made of balsa wood unfortunately

Sad indictment all in all

Bolo loss of pace wasn't really an issue when he moved into the middle for me. Had a great touch, awareness and excellent composure on the Ball, as well as as great posistioning. Your bang on about his engine toward the end tho :(

Creative quality centre midfield players have been very thin on the ground for years at Sunderland for a number of reasons not least of which is the style of play we have adopted hasn't really suited that sort of player. For years we have been fed the line "Sunderland fans love tenacious, ball winning, grafting players who give 100% for the shirt" etc.
We have built teams in the image of our managers .... Reid, McCarthy, etc etc.
With Gus at the helm we might just have a chance of rectifying this

Think Bally is massively underrated as a midfielder. Up and down, tough tackling and scored quite a few goals.

For the level he played (mostly Div1) he was a very good all round midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back