Who was the last top centre midfielder to play for SAFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schwartz, Reyna or Hutchison.

We've not been gifted in the middle of the park in the last couple of decades unfortunately but those are the stand outs/...

Are we talking 'top' as perceived by the rest of the world, or in terms of performances for us? Hutchison wasn't deemed a top midfielder but, from all those names mentioned, for me, he was the best in a Sunderland shirt.

Coincidently, Reyna is on Sky Sports now, introducing Frank Lampard (just signed for NYC). Oh and Schwartz - cracking player.

In my time watching Sunderland, Don Hutchinson was probably the best I have seen in central midfield , even though we didnt have him for long.

Your a massive fart in a spacesuit you like, is no one allowed to have an opinion, fair enough you didn't like the guy but i think a good few of us realise that he was class, now go off and play with your play dough you've only got 5 weeks of your holidays left till ya back at school.
He wasn't class tho he was finished! People exaggerate over time like Eric roy he couldn't even get a game yet people rave about him on here

Are we talking 'top' as perceived by the rest of the world, or in terms of performances for us? Hutchison wasn't deemed a top midfielder but, from all those names mentioned, for me, he was the best in a Sunderland shirt.
I've given you one who played in the rest of the World team. James Baxter!

Gotta be Hutchison for me !! Had that something extra....a bit of spark perhaps, to the rest of the plodders.

Was he fuk couldn't even run every free kick hit the wall
Bollocks he was quality. Wish we had him now.
Away at Liverpool we got a point at Anfield was maybe the best performance from a Sunderland midfielder I have ever seen.
He was awesome he had done very good games for us.
Not sure how you can say he's shite.

Bollocks he was quality. Wish we had him now.
Away at Liverpool we got a point at Anfield was maybe the best performance from a Sunderland midfielder I have ever seen.
He was awesome he had done very good games for us.
Not sure how you can say he's shite.
Not say he was shite it's just massively exagerated on here, Gavin McCann was a better player for us

Zenden and Schwarz were to all intents and purposes finished by the time they got here.
Zenden was a bit part player and while he showed the odd nice touch, he'sd lost whatever pace he had and he was unable to go for a full 90 minutes.
Schwarz had injury problems and also fell out with reid and it shows given the time he was here, some nice touches but again his best years well behind him
Cana was a defensive midfielder, not a creative bone in his body and it says it all that Meyler was keeping him before a season expired
Hutchison I'd class as a player with guile but not really top

I always liked eric roy, but he was another that reid fell out with . He oozed class etc, maybe lacked a bit of pace.
Reyna was good but made of balsa wood unfortunately

Sad indictment all in all

Schwarz wasn't finished by the time we got him at all. He was superb in his first 2 seasons, and we finished 7th in both of them. He got a serious injury on international duty and pretty much missed the whole of his final season here before retiring - it's probably no coincidence that we were relegated that year without him. I don't recall him falling out with Reid either, he was an ever present when fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back