Will we be the biggest club in the Championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for context on leeds. In the time we won 1 FA cup, they won the league 3 times and were runners up 5 times. And won 1 cup and were runners up 3 times.

And runners up in European cup. And cup winners cup.
The big club thing is bollocks. Utter bollocks

No they dont, they are averaging just over 50k. You are a mag like

NO MENTION OF Derby...big club and the best of the rest i reckon.

In the eyes of the neutral Leeds are the biggest club, not only because they were recently (in the last 15 years) challenging for the Champions League, but because within most people's lifetimes they were one of the dominant teams in English football (under Revie) a period that has been immortalised by the likes of the Damned United.

The fact Leeds is a huge, important, economically successful and one club city probably helps too.

If it wasn't for our crowds we'd mean nowt to people. No fucker knows were one of the most successful teams in English history as most of our success was a century ago! We're most known for causing a huge cup upset (over 40 years ago!), aka Wimbledon or Coventry!

We're a huge club because of our history and fanbase but to most people outside of Sunderland we're just Middlesbrough with bigger crowds.

Personally I'd say us, Derby, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are all on a same level with the likes of Forest, Wolves, Sheffield United and Ipswich a tier behind. We just have bigger crowds than most the teams akin to us (or most teams full stop!).

We will be, in our own opinion. About half a dozen other teams supporters will also feel the same about their own clubs.

No we will. We've the biggest crowds, both currently and historically. We have also won more trophies than anyone else in that league.

Blackburn, off the top of my head, have won more trophies than us.
No we will. We've the biggest crowds, both currently and historically. We have also won more trophies than anyone else in that league.

In the eyes of the neutral Leeds are the biggest club, not only because they were recently (in the last 15 years) challenging for the Champions League, but because within most people's lifetimes they were one of the dominant teams in English football (under Revie) a period that has been immortalised by the likes of the Damned United.

The fact Leeds is a huge, important, economically successful and one club city probably helps too.

If it wasn't for our crowds we'd mean nowt to people. No fucker knows were one of the most successful teams in English history as most of our success was a century ago! We're most known for causing a huge cup upset (over 40 years ago!), aka Wimbledon or Coventry!

We're a huge club because of our history and fanbase but to most people outside of Sunderland we're just Middlesbrough with bigger crowds.

Personally I'd say us, Derby, Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday are all on a same level with the likes of Forest, Wolves, Sheffield United and Ipswich a tier behind. We just have bigger crowds than most the teams akin to us (or most teams full stop!).

On Talksport yesterday Stan Collymore, a neutral, was talking about the true giants of English football. Man U, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Chelsea, Villa, Arsenal Sunderland, Newcastle. These are the teams that would get 50K+ crowds when their team is successful. Nobody disagreed.

Really. All this talk of them being a big well club is a piss take. Fact is they are a one club city, a city with a population exceeding Sunderland and Newcastle combined, but they have never once averaged 40K in a season. This is despite them having a top team in the 70s amd more recently having a good team reaching the latter stages of the CL. They currently get smaller crowds than Brighton.

Big club with good supporters? My arse.

Crowds mean fuck all though. Liverpool and Ajax dominated the 70s and 80s but had tiny crowds compared to their contemporaries.

Yes our crowds are impressive and football is huge in Sunderland (& Newcastle), infact I've lived all over and there's nowhere football is so ingrained in society as it is in the North East. In Leeds and Manchester you don't get anywhere near the same feeling, probably cause there's more for people to do... but that doesn't change the fact that people will see Leeds as a bigger club than us when we're at the same level.

Juventus always had smaller crowds than Torino but who did people see as the bigger club?

Never mind the fact if we charged the same as the likes of Fulham or Arsenal for our tickets our crowds would probably halve. Personally I'd rather have 40,000 fans paying a decent price than 20k paying top dollar but let's not kid ourselves. To us we are a huge club, but to the rest of the World we're just another Stoke City or Middlesbrough with a bigger support.

On Talksport yesterday Stan Collymore, a neutral, was talking about the true giants of English football. Man U, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Chelsea, Villa, Arsenal Sunderland, Newcastle. These are the teams that would get 50K+ crowds when their team is successful. Nobody disagreed.

To be fair to Stan Collymore I get the impression he really understands English football's history. I'm not talking about the likes of Stan Collymore though, I'm talking about general public perception.

Most people in football know Sunderland are a big club, but most people I've worked with/known see us as an underachieving big club akin to a Derby, Leeds or Wednesday.

Lets be serious here though

We're not really that big of a club, we were years ago.

We have top fans, but that doesnt make you a big club

Crowds mean fuck all though. Liverpool and Ajax dominated the 70s and 80s but had tiny crowds compared to their contemporaries.

Yes our crowds are impressive and football is huge in Sunderland (& Newcastle), infact I've lived all over and there's nowhere football is so ingrained in society as it is in the North East. In Leeds and Manchester you don't get anywhere near the same feeling, probably cause there's more for people to do... but that doesn't change the fact that people will see Leeds as a bigger club than us when we're at the same level.

Juventus always had smaller crowds than Torino but who did people see as the bigger club?

Never mind the fact if we charged the same as the likes of Fulham or Arsenal for our tickets our crowds would probably halve. Personally I'd rather have 40,000 fans paying a decent price than 20k paying top dollar but let's not kid ourselves. To us we are a huge club, but to the rest of the World we're just another Stoke City or Middlesbrough with a bigger support.

Some people, as you said the ones that don't understand football, may see Leeds as bigger. But they don't understand football so its akin to asking someone who doesn't understand tennis who the best player is. You'll likely get the wrong answer.

...And that's about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back