18 years ago, a truly sickening defeat which took days to get over, and was the start of the Cahill hoodoo.... it's almost too painful to put video up

Luna17

Winger

All we had to do was beat them ( division below us iirc) and European footy was guaranteed even if we lost the Fa cup final as Man Utd were in CL by virtue of league placing.

Absolutely typical Safc, fking it up when the prize was so great and we got the draw we prayed for - given the other semi finalists were Man U and Arsenal.

Still hurts now looking back.🤬🤬🤬

All we had to do was beat them ( division below us iirc) and European footy was guaranteed even if we lost the Fa cup final as Man Utd were in CL by virtue of league placing.

Absolutely typical Safc, fking it up when the prize was so great and we got the draw we prayed for - given the other semi finalists were Man U and Arsenal.

And I had a long walk back to the car in the rain. That Millllwaaaal chant gave me nightmares.

we were in the same league. lost 3 times to them that season

Think Millwall were in our division?

I was 12 and as it was a Sunday I was playing footy for Consett U12s. Remember running off the pitch to see what the score was but the look on my grandad’s face told me all I needed to know.

It’s up there with Palace in 76 and Hull in 14 as the biggest missed opportunities in the FA Cup in my time of watching the Lads …. Probably the worst as victory would have guaranteed Euro qualification…. I’d promised my Dad we would go an watch us away in Europe as I was too young in 73 . He’s now long gone. Typical SAFC . Doubt I’ll ever get the chance in my lifetime either.

I'd been to the grand National the day before and staying in Manchester(national holiday package)...I was absolutely ill with the drink from the day before...thought I was going to vomit all day long...didn't have transport home as the coach was leaving hotel at 10am...managed to blag a lift home after match in a mate of a mates car..5 crammed in a Toyota Yaris..one lad just kept fartin all the way home..had to pull over somewhere and utterly spew me guts up!!...didn't remember much about the match!!..felt like dogshit all day!!
Oh happy times!!🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

Back