A690 shut

Sounds like a really bad accident. It's at the same junction an elderly woman was killed at a few years back.

It's an awful road because loads of bellends think it's ok to do 75 on it

Think the accident happened with someone turning into East Rainton from the eastbound carriageway
I live there, its really not an awful road, we get awful drivers on it

Back in the day, pre 50mph days, people would be doing 90 along that road. It genuinely was a death trap back then, there were some horrendous accidents near the junctions for East & West Rainton.

Back in the day, pre 50mph days, people would be doing 90 along that road. It genuinely was a death trap back then, there were some horrendous accidents near the junctions for East & West Rainton.
I was one of the first to an accident near where the Shell garage is now where someone had attempted to cross the carriageway and got it wrong. 2 grandparents, 3 grandkids in the back. I'll never forget it, absolutely horrific.

I was one of the first to an accident near where the Shell garage is now where someone had attempted to cross the carriageway and got it wrong. 2 grandparents, 3 grandkids in the back. I'll never forget it, absolutely horrific.

How horrific for you. I think I remember that as I was in Sunderland that day, I think it was around 1996.
They closed down the junction after that so you had to go to the motorway junction and come back on yourself.

My cousin's lads family that, f***ing horrible one was a very young kid too. Horrible, dairy lane leading to front street with the garage at the side im absolutely amazed there isn't more accidents people fly up and down there and with cars parked both sides and gridlock with people in and out the garage it's such a hazardous road.

Sounds like a really bad accident. It's at the same junction an elderly woman was killed at a few years back.

It's an awful road because loads of bellends think it's ok to do 75 on it

Think the accident happened with someone turning into East Rainton from the eastbound carriageway

None of your post correct. Love speculation 😂
Why don't they open it?

It was open by the time the post was made

Last edited:

Back