A690 shut

None of your post correct. Love speculation 😂

It was open by the time the post was made

None of it correct eh? So there's no bellends drive along it at 75mph?

I was told by someone who had tried to get onto the 690 heading to Durham that the accident had happened at the first(or last) East Rainton turn. I'm very sorry if my information was incorrect.

I'd guess the road wasn't closed on both carriageways because someone had run over a rabbit.

None of it correct eh? So there's no bellends drive along it at 75mph?

I was told by someone who had tried to get onto the 690 heading to Durham that the accident had happened at the first(or last) East Rainton turn. I'm very sorry if my information was incorrect.

I'd guess the road wasn't closed on both carriageways because someone had run over a rabbit.

The accident hasnt occurred due to someone going at 75mph and wasnt caused by anyone turning into east rainton 👍

Just as well you're not a copper, making statements like "none of your post correct" :)

Do people drive along the 690 at 75mph....yes, occasionally. These people are bellends

Was an elderly woman killed at the junction into East Rainton a few years back....yes.

So whilst my information relating to the location of the crash was incorrect, part of my post wasn't. And at no point did I say or imply the crash was caused by a bellend driving at 75mph.

I also said it seemed like a serious crash. That's how the Northern Echo reported it yesterday. Given someone ended up in the RVI, that seems accurate.

Last edited:
Just as well you're not a copper, making statements like "none of your post correct" :)

Do people drive along the 690 at 75mph....yes, occasionally. These people are bellends

Was an elderly woman killed at the junction into East Rainton a few years back....yes.

So whilst my information relating to the location of the crash was incorrect, part of my post wasn't. And at no point did I say or imply the crash was caused by a bellend driving at 75mph.

I also said it seemed like a serious crash. That's how the Northern Echo reported it yesterday. Given someone ended up in the RVI, that seems accurate.
Completely right about the bellends on that road.

I was one of the first to an accident near where the Shell garage is now where someone had attempted to cross the carriageway and got it wrong. 2 grandparents, 3 grandkids in the back. I'll never forget it, absolutely horrific.
Was that a Saturday afternoon during the Summer?

I can remember driving to play cricket at Durham City one year and driving past an accident where the turn into the Park and Ride is now. There were bodies lying on the central reservation , covered with sheets.

My mate, who was a serving DC at the time, was in the car with me and we thought about stopping but didn't bother as there were already plenty of emergency services on the scene.

Was that a Saturday afternoon during the Summer?

I can remember driving to play cricket at Durham City one year and driving past an accident where the turn into the Park and Ride is now. There were bodies lying on the central reservation , covered with sheets.

My mate, who was a serving DC at the time, was in the car with me and we thought about stopping but didn't bother as there were already plenty of emergency services on the scene.

Accident happened early afternoon I think, we were coming back from the Metrocentre. I think it was summer 1995, although may have been 1996. It was a Wilf Husband lorry...every time I see one on the road I think of that accident.

I remember getting to the car, there was a couple of other people there, we were trying to get the three kids out of the back. The driver of the lorry was wandering around the eastbound carriageway in a complete state of shock as you can imagine. I just felt absolutely useless.

I don't want to say too much as I don't want to bring back bad memories for anyone who might be on the forum who was directly impacted, but it was just horrible.

Accident happened early afternoon I think, we were coming back from the Metrocentre. I think it was summer 1995, although may have been 1996. It was a Wilf Husband lorry...every time I see one on the road I think of that accident.

I remember getting to the car, there was a couple of other people there, we were trying to get the three kids out of the back. The driver of the lorry was wandering around the eastbound carriageway in a complete state of shock as you can imagine. I just felt absolutely useless.

I don't want to say too much as I don't want to bring back bad memories for anyone who might be on the forum who was directly impacted, but it was just horrible.
Yeah - sounds like it's the same one we saw.

Never understood why road planners thought it was a good idea to have right-hand turns across a dual-carriageway - especially 70mph ones ,like the A690 was back then.

I drove past it yesterday as had to avoid the motorbike which was left in the road, both sides of the turn offs (hetton, west rainton) had cars parked up with hazards on. Did look serious so glad there was no fatalities

The road was open again before 8pm so no fatalities thankfully.
Life changing injuries.

:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Reinforces the point I made in post #28.

I've been driving to work via the A690 since early 1989 and have seen numerous near-misses, the (often horrible) aftermath of numerous accidents and some lunatic driving - most of which wouldn't have happened if those crossovers weren't there.

Some of the worst culprits are bus and HGV drivers who pull into the central reservation section, leaving the back-end of the bus/HGV blocking the outside lane - dangerous beyond belief.

Reinforces the point I made in post #28.

I've been driving to work via the A690 since early 1989 and have seen numerous near-misses, the (often horrible) aftermath of numerous accidents and some lunatic driving - most of which wouldn't have happened if those crossovers weren't there.

Some of the worst culprits are bus and HGV drivers who pull into the central reservation section, leaving the back-end of the bus/HGV blocking the outside lane - dangerous beyond belief.

Agree entirely. However, one of our resident coppers appears to dispute that. @BlackOps :)

The first East Rainton turn off if you are heading eastbound along the 690 is awful. It's so difficult to see oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
Agree entirely. However, one of our resident coppers appears to dispute that. @BlackOps :)

The first East Rainton turn off if you are heading eastbound along the 690 is awful. It's so difficult to see oncoming traffic.
Dont despite there are people who drive way to quick on that road as there is on any road. Just think its wise with any crash in the local area where lives are changed to insinuate causes or factors which may upset people/persons involved

Dont despite there are people who drive way to quick on that road as there is on any road. Just think its wise with any crash in the local area where lives are changed to insinuate causes or factors which may upset people/persons involved

So not all of my post was incorrect is what you are now saying. I think I made four statements in the post, three of them appear to be valid, one (the location) was incorrect.

At no point did I imply this particular accident was due to excessive speed.

You could always acknowledge that you were a little bit rash in suggesting that none of my post was correct.

I do hope you don't approach your professional life with such inaccuracies, it could cause chaos !

Back