Alternate careers

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wanted a good job so I went to university for four years to end up working a series of temporary office jobs for buttons.

I'm not bitter.

Must admit the whole university thing ended up being a bit pointless for me. My dad was a lecturer at a university so he always went on about how important it was to go to one if you could. Of course I'm a lazy bastard so despite decent grades I opted for sociology and social policy, figuring it was an easy pass and I'd then have a degree. Got a 2:1 but decided not to go into social work as, by and large, I don't like people.

Like yourself I ended up in an office job which was low paid, it annoyed me because I could have done it without wasting years (and money) on university. Ended up becoming a bid coordinator and now about to become an assistant environmental manager, all random jobs that my degree helped in no way to get. I'm at a big company now and going into a role with no relevant qualifications at all, they don't give a shit as long as they think you'll do a good job. Must be loads of people with environmental degrees who'd love it but I'm getting the role without interviews. Just seems that, unless it's accountancy, architecture or law or some such, a degree is largely useless in many cases.

My lasses bairn is turning 13 next month, when I eventually talk to him like my dad talked to me I won't be so quick to recommend uni unless he's got really good grades and wants to do something that leads to a good job. Otherwise, from my experience, he might as well just get a job and work his way up or get a trade, plenty good money for tradesmen and always a need for them

Must admit the whole university thing ended up being a bit pointless for me. My dad was a lecturer at a university so he always went on about how important it was to go to one if you could. Of course I'm a lazy bastard so despite decent grades I opted for sociology and social policy, figuring it was an easy pass and I'd then have a degree. Got a 2:1 but decided not to go into social work as, by and large, I don't like people.

Like yourself I ended up in an office job which was low paid, it annoyed me because I could have done it without wasting years (and money) on university. Ended up becoming a bid coordinator and now about to become an assistant environmental manager, all random jobs that my degree helped in no way to get. I'm at a big company now and going into a role with no relevant qualifications at all, they don't give a shit as long as they think you'll do a good job. Must be loads of people with environmental degrees who'd love it but I'm getting the role without interviews. Just seems that, unless it's accountancy, architecture or law or some such, a degree is largely useless in many cases.

My lasses bairn is turning 13 next month, when I eventually talk to him like my dad talked to me I won't be so quick to recommend uni unless he's got really good grades and wants to do something that leads to a good job. Otherwise, from my experience, he might as well just get a job and work his way up or get a trade, plenty good money for tradesmen and always a need for them
Nail on head,kids that go to college or uni and do the likes of sport science or computer gaming etc...

It's all just a massive skive for the kids and the parents are turning a blind eye and wanting the easy life .

Was aiming towards a university professor but couldn't afford that now plus got totally pissed off with professors putting students low on their priorities cos they had to pimping themselves off to get grant money or papers published.

I was an underachiever in the sixth form but with more encouragement and less laziness would love to have been an orthopedic surgeon. You make huge differences in the lives of your patients and don't get covered in shit, blood and vomit.

Getting screamed at by a drill instructor would have had me chinning the twat and getting a court martial , but flying jets like Richard Gere would have been a canny career depending on the timing of your service. I met a bloke who flew stealth fighters in the first gulf war. Completed dozens of missions with impunity as the Iraqi Air Force was shite.

Volcanologist or an Astrophysicist. It must be fantastic working on something you're passionately interested in.

Nail on head,kids that go to college or uni and do the likes of sport science or computer gaming etc...

It's all just a massive skive for the kids and the parents are turning a blind eye and wanting the easy life .

Actually mate university educated people fare better in the jobs market. About 50% of people who did my degree have a graduate job within six months.

The problem lies with me.

I quite like my career in Science but when ever me Dad would get hammered he would invariably tell me I should have gone into sports journalism as "Its all you bloody talk about anyway", probably right I think I would have enjoyed that.

When I watch Masterchef, which I currently am, I sometimes wish I had pursued the owld chef carry on.

Elsewhere, a woman on the radio today, a famous journalist supposedly, claimed her real ambition had been to become a gynecologist. I thought it strange anyone would actually want to be a gyno. Aside from the obvious blokey reasons.

Anyhoo, alternate from what you do, what is your regret/thoughts on a different career than that you've wound up in?

cooking is a wifeys job man.

Was aiming towards a university professor but couldn't afford that now plus got totally pissed off with professors putting students low on their priorities cos they had to pimping themselves off to get grant money or papers published.

I was an underachiever in the sixth form but with more encouragement and less laziness would love to have been an orthopedic surgeon. You make huge differences in the lives of your patients and don't get covered in shit, blood and vomit.

Getting screamed at by a drill instructor would have had me chinning the twat and getting a court martial , but flying jets like Richard Gere would have been a canny career depending on the timing of your service. I met a bloke who flew stealth fighters in the first gulf war. Completed dozens of missions with impunity as the Iraqi Air Force was shite.
I hear that all the time from people who never served in the armed forces marra. If I'm honest the reality of it would be a hell of a lot different for you. What people say they would do and what they actually do can be poles apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back