Are You Religious

Morning all,

Given the time of year and religion being a big part of this weekend, it’s got me thinking.

Had this conversation with our lass and the bairns, mainly because the daughter has started going to church as she needs to ge the bairn christened *redacted* and is now enjoying it. I asked her if she believes in all of that and she said no, however she does feel it very relaxing and peaceful going to church.
Yesterday me and our lass walked into the church in Benidorm and she lit a candle for our loved ones who’s passed away, so she must find that comforting even though she’s not religious.

Does anyone else gain this type of comfort from religion ? I wish I believed to be honest as I can imagine it to be very therapeutic.

Peace be with you all x

Last edited by a moderator:

Nope, nonsense and evolved to provide answers and hope as well as providing framework for society to function.
That said each to their own and if it gives comfort then who am I to deride it?
I agree 100%. However as I said to my son earlier you one day will pray when you’re desperate.
Someone said that to me over 20 year ago and I said “ I’ll not” but he was right. When the boy had meningitis last year and I was beside his bead willing him to wake up and be better I put my hands together and prayed to the heavens. That’s what desperation is like I suppose.

There are two types of religion, theist and atheist. Christianity is theist and Buddhism is atheist (there is no God in Buddhism). Theist religions are generally classed as dualistic with a separate God and Soul or if there are no such concepts, like a river returning to the ocean from which it came. Atheist religions are classed as non-dualistic, we never left the ocean and the perceived separation is an illusion that eventually dissolves away.

So it's not such a simple question as you would imagine.

Not at all.

I’m go parent to friends children but don’t believe in religion.

I was clear that our lass wasn’t getting our kids Christened.

That said, I do love the building a so always visit wherever I am (Durham, Rome, Paris, I was in Utah recently and visited the Mormon places). And I get the peacefulness angle.

If the daughter doesn’t believe, why is she getting the bairn Christened?

I’ve had some terrible things happen and never ever clasped my hands together and prayed.

Last edited:
Not at all.

I’m go parent to friends children but don’t believe in religion.

I was clear that our lass wasn’t getting our kids Christened.

That said, I do love the building a so always visit wherever I am (Durham, Rome, Paris, I was in Utah recently and visited the Mormon places). And I get the peacefulness angle.

If the daughter doesn’t believe, why is she getting the bairn Christened?

I’ve had some terrible things happen and never ever clasped my hands together and prayed.
Daughter ( like I did) wants her kids in a catholic school.

Morning all,

Does anyone else gain this type of comfort from religion ? I wish I believed to be honest as I can imagine it to be very therapeutic.

Peace be with you all x
No

I do find it hypocritical when people use the church for things like christenings, weddings etc. when they have no belief in the institution they are using.

We didn't get any of our kids christened, I wanted them to make their own decisions in relation to this. One of my daughter's has subsequently been christened and is a regular church attender as is my wife.

Any way let him without sin cast the first stone and all that.

Peace be with you all on this springval morning :)

Biblical x
Morning all,

Peace be with you all x

Sadly many Brits turned their back on the church. And we've seen the issues caused as a result. Mind its popularity might rise again with more people from Africa coming in. See loads going to Church in Sunderland for example, which is great IMO.

Sometimes pop into Durham Cathedral, it has a tremendous aura. However, no I’m not religious.
I used to think churches were the most peaceful tranquil places going till I went to where Johnny cash had his house on the lake in Hendersonville. That place has some presence man easily hands down the most peaceful place I’ve ever experienced and Ive done world war 1 battlefields etc
Bizaaare like you I’m not religious but can appreciate what’s folk get out of it so if it gives them peace no harm done for me.

No

I do find it hypocritical when people use the church for things like christenings, weddings etc. when they have no belief in the institution they are using.

We didn't get any of our kids christened, I wanted them to make their own decisions in relation to this. One of my daughter's has subsequently been christened and is a regular church attender as is my wife.

Any way let him without sin cast the first stone and all that.

Peace be with you all on this springval morning :)
We didn't get ours christened either but whether you do or don't has no impact on the child growing up so not sure there's much validity in the making their own decision point. At the end of the day its just a bit of water splashed on their head in front of friends and family. The child doesn't think "I've been christened now, so must be a devout Christian".

Last edited:
We didn't get ours Christened either but whether you do or don't has no impact on the child growing up so not sure there's much validity in the making their own decision point. At the end of the day its just a bit of water splashed on their head I front of friends and family. The child doesn't think "I've been christened now, so must be a devout Christian".
Aye, but I couldn't be arsed with all the chew

Back