Be Good, Love Brian

• Thread starter Deleted member 22162
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22162

Never heard anything about this book ‘til I opened the paper this morning: two dirt poor lads from Southwick met Brian Clough on Seaburn beach one morning (while he was preparing for a Forest game up here) and it changed the course of all their lives forever. Story stranger than fiction as it played out. There’s no link to the Guardian interview with the writer (one of the two boys) yet as it was only in the paper today. Worth seeking out, though. Anyone know the writer / anything about the story?

Never heard anything about this book ‘til I opened the paper this morning: two dirt poor lads from Southwick met Brian Clough on Seaburn beach one morning (while he was preparing for a Forest game up here) and it changed the course of all their lives forever. Story stranger than fiction as it played out. There’s no link to the Guardian interview with the writer (one of the two boys) yet as it was only in the paper today. Worth seeking out, though. Anyone know the writer / anything about the story?
No

Just been reading about it on a Derby forum, the author posted on there while he was crowdfunding the book during Nigel Cloughs reign and was always defending him. He's just been on again to make sure everyone who donated gets their books when it's released.

He was a bit too 'Notts forest' really to be posting on a Rams forum but is a vociferous bloke. Hope the book sells well, sounds a crazy story.

There was an article in the Athletic about it a while back. They saw the Forest team on the seafront and approached them and Clough clocked them, noticed what they were wearing and they didn’t have coats on in winterand got them to have a meal with the team.

From that point Clough would meet up with them when Forest were playing SAFC/NUFC and give them tickets and the relationship developed to an extent that they ended up living with him - he basically fostered them.

Edit - found the article but not sure if it will be behind a paywall

The remarkable tale of two boys who went begging for pennies and ended up living with Brian Clough
The remarkable tale of two boys who went begging for pennies and ended up living with Brian Clough

Last edited:
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.

Two brothers that were born in Southwick, came from an abusive family and Clough ended up taking them in and looked after the author for 9 years after coming across him whilst begging in the street.
This is fiction? If not, how the fuck have I never heard about this 😳

Read the original piece in The Athletic but loads of things I didn’t know in today’s article (above). Sending your own children out to beg, can’t get my head around that.

There was an article in the Athletic about it a while back. They saw the Forest team on the seafront and approached them and Clough clocked them, noticed what they were wearing and they didn’t have coats on in winterand got them to have a meal with the team.

From that point Clough would meet up with them when Forest were playing SAFC/NUFC and give them tickets and the relationship developed to an extent that they ended up living with him - he basically fostered them.

Edit - found the article but not sure if it will be behind a paywall

What a brilliant story

Back