Big Alf

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was excellent in that Everyon game when the loon was in charge. It's telling though that after spending time in La Liga the only club appearing to show their hand are the one he was relegated with.
Not beyond the realms that he could be suited to English football though.

I do genuinely think he's a canny player. We'd be foolish to give him away for pennies, I'd rather have him as part of the squad, especially as it doesn't look like we're going to be adding much more to our midfield anyway, maybe one more if we can find someone.

Love Alf. Hope he stays and Gus gives him a chance.

He was excellent in that Everyon game when the loon was in charge. It's telling though that after spending time in La Liga the only club appearing to show their hand are the one he was relegated with.
Not beyond the realms that he could be suited to English football though.

He was excellent against the Mags too (also with the loon in charge).

he passes better and conrols better than catts and can run with the ball evading players

him and catts would be tigerish as a pair

he passes better and conrols better than catts and can run with the ball evading players

him and catts would be tigerish as a pair

He doesn't do either of those 2 things better than Cattermole mind. I think he could do a decent job box to box with Cattermole and Gomez / Larsson in midfield with him. Not sure if he'd get many goals like

f***ing pisses me off that the only clubs who are interested in any of the players we want to sell are f***ing poverty struck and want us to give them the player for nowt AND pay half his f***ing wages to boot. I'd rather keep him here just in case (we have injuries or he learns how to trap a ball) than accept what Betis are offering.

My lass has just asked what I am giggling at. Cruel, very, very cruel.

While ever he has a contact with us he can do whatever the hell he likes until it finishs. When loaned out if they dont pay all his wages they will pay an agreed preportion which we will top up.
Hes not going to move and loose money. Its nothing to do with how much we want to sell him for. We will have to negotiate a payoff.

He won't want to move because he'll have to take a massive pay cut.

Just give him one season to otoove himself even if he comes on second half to kill a game off or rough people up it's ok having good passes but as last season showed hull kicked the shit out of us

He doesn't do either of those 2 things better than Cattermole mind. I think he could do a decent job box to box with Cattermole and Gomez / Larsson in midfield with him. Not sure if he'd get many goals like

well he does not 'conrol' haha, but he deffo runs with it better than cattermole does- i like catts for his qualities he does have, but he basically runs sideways and backwards and sprays his 50 yard passes to unmarked men on the touchline, though id do get quite excited when he makes a tri-monthly burst forward, like near the end of the cup final when it was 1-2, i also feel the same sense of adreniline/ panic when catts gets the ball under pressure, like when Nozza used to do his skills when he was last man haha, where with colback and Ki i was confident they would make space and turn away from their man easily enough.

two battlers like cattas and alf i would really like to see a run of games with them and gomez

My worry with Alf is that he was signed for the MON template of needing a big physical lad with a good engine to work very hard while we have barely 40% possession and try to nick a goal. I thought he might have worked for PDC whose tactics (let's assume there were some) were reasonably direct as well. But I struggle to see how he fits Gus's possession based model because he doesn't strike me as someone who can keep the ball.

Having said that Gus got players to keep the ball and work in his system last season that I'd never have expected to. Given we would have to pay him off to get him off the books, is he worth having as cover behind Cattermole, Bridcutt and Ba (in that order)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back