Childhood Memories of Going To The Match

saw this photo from 1977 this morning and was immediately taken back to the excitement of walking up to Roker as a kid, can almost smell those burgers and salmonella still hadn't been discovered !

GF1i5MmXAAAiB7x.jpg

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list

Can honestly say I never ever once got a dodgy tummy from eating one of those hot dogs and it's very likely I bought one from those lads right there.
The biggest health and safety risk anyone had to navigate at Roker Park was the Bovril.
If you got a cup of the liquid lava before kickoff, you could have a careful sip at half time.

Getting the 535 bus from Shields. Getting off on Newcastle road after the Grange and getting sweets from the off licence that as there (Blayney Wines?). Cutting through the streets to Fulwell Road where the regular seller always had two match programmes ready for me. Walking up the steps of the Fulwell End. Walking back and trying to hear the other results off other people's portable radios.

Happy days indeed.

Quiz in the clipper (I ended up doing it from 14 oneards), my first pint of cider in there, was fucked! 😂 Mickey Grays first minute goal, we were half way to ground from clipper.

Early doors would be parking around Roker - can only really remember night games. After that it would be the lights on top of the stadium and sausage rolls :lol:

The smell of the pitch at Roker. Lush. Nowt like it.

Police horses stood in a git wass puddle of their own spit down the little back lanes around Roker.

The floodlights standing out like a beacon above the terraced houses. Absolutely loved seeing them, even when there wasn't a game on.

Having a piss underneath the Clock Stand with the timber ceiling/floor above shaking.

The whole row of seats in the Clock Stand shaking when the crazy fucker next to me used to rock back and forth gannin' ballistic, "what're you gonna do now Reid?!"

Back