Chromecast - £20 In Currys/PC World

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've googled it, and still not entirely sure what it is. It's a wifi dongle for your tv?
Pretty sure it's be useless for me anyway. My 'broadband' runs at 90kbs.

I remember those days. Charged by the minute for the internet as well. Cost 50 pence just to see a nipple.

Aye when I was a young 'un I used to get a maximum of 20 minutes a night allowed on the 'net :lol:

In hindsight it was great as it took me all of a week to realise 20 minutes would load about three webpages, so I fucked off outside and enjoyed life as a kid should :-D

Needs a tablet or smart phone (control/set up App available for iOS and Android) or Chrome browser on computer/lap top as a form of remote to cast its message to the dongle which goes in a free HDMI on dumb tele. Needs power from TV USB or wall power outlet. What is cast from your device or computer browser is the link to what you plan to watch/hear, so no streaming takes place from device to tv. The chromecast device uses the link and takes over the streaming from your wifi source and you are free to use your device for other stuff. Netflix and iPlayer are the alpha gorilla Apps. But more and more apps are adding the 'cast me' icon to their screen on your device and this can 'only get better'. That is plan A. Plan B is to clone a tab content on your Chrome browser on your computer or laptop over to your TV screen. This is double streaming so can/will be a bit slow, but is a cheap and easty to use way to display what is running on your computer browser on your big tv screen. Firefox may be about to add a casting utility to match Chrome. Plan B not on phones/tablets browsers yet including Chrome, but next Android OS (L) will probably allow you do this. Bottom line - cheap as chips way to turn a dumb TV into a smart one so long as you already have a smartphone or tablet.

P.S. Just bought two for $50 total here in California.

Last edited:
Had one at the weekend, took it back on Monday. Crap bit of kit, just get off my arse and plug the HDMI in imo.

I remember those days. Charged by the minute for the internet as well. Cost 50 pence just to see a nipple.
Think it was around 1998ish and had to explain to my mam what a £45 charge to a swedish number was on her phone bill. still get the piss took out of me to this day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back