Derek Series 2 starts tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Left Breathless

Can't wait. Clips look good. Loved the first series and should be better as you know the characters.

Not sure where Joe Wilkinson is going to fit in like but pretty much anything Ricky does is brilliant.

very funny and very sad in equal measures. loved it me. especially the episode where the greedy daughter comes back to claim her mothers ring :( looking forward to the second series :)

His stupid f***ing face puts me off, is he acting like a mentally disabled bloke or what?
It's for you to make your mind up as is with all Gervais stuff. There isn't a standard way of life or way of behaving in life. He just picks something he wants to stir up and see how people react to it. I don't think he cares if people aren't into it.

It's for you to make your mind up as is with all Gervais stuff. There isn't a standard way of life or way of behaving in life. He just picks something he wants to stir up and see how people react to it. I don't think he cares if people aren't into it.
So what's the sketch then? What's he supposed to be?

Nothing. He is supposed to tell a story and you're supposed to make your mind up. If you don't get it that's fine. It does not have to be totally obvious. What was the sketch of Auf Weidersehen Pet? That wasn't supposed to be a comedy really but it was f***ing funny. You could probably watch Derek and like it whilst not finding it funny if that's what you like.

Nothing. He is supposed to tell a story and you're supposed to make your mind up. If you don't get it that's fine. It does not have to be totally obvious. What was the sketch of Auf Weidersehen Pet? That wasn't supposed to be a comedy really but it was f***ing funny. You could probably watch Derek and like it whilst not finding it funny if that's what you like.
Jesus wept, you're not giving much away are you!

Sounds too taxing on my simple brain, I generally like to use TV to switch off and not strain my brain too much.

Jesus wept, you're not giving much away are you!

Sounds too taxing on my simple brain, I generally like to use TV to switch off and not strain my brain too much.
It isn't. Make your own mind up. Fine if you don't like it.

According to Gervais he is just meant to be an outsider. Someone who is different to the norm, doesn't care how he looks as long as he kind.

People have drawn their own conclusions as to whether he has learning difficulties or not, some have credited his portrayal of someone with autism and some (mainly those who haven't watched it I reckon) have criticised him for mocking disability.

I think it's his best work since the Office. After Life's Too Short I was wondering whether he had fallen down a very slippery slope but he moved away from calling in Hollywood favours and has gone back to what he's best at.

According to Gervais he is just meant to be an outsider. Someone who is different to the norm, doesn't care how he looks as long as he kind.

People have drawn their own conclusions as to whether he has learning difficulties or not, some have credited his portrayal of someone with autism and some (mainly those who haven't watched it I reckon) have criticised him for mocking disability.

I think it's his best work since the Office. After Life's Too Short I was wondering whether he had fallen down a very slippery slope but he moved away from calling in Hollywood favours and has gone back to what he's best at.
Agreed. It's class and I enjoyed that. It really isn't a comedy show it's a show with a few laughs stuck in there.

I love it.

Lizzie's death and the story behind her in the last series was sheer brilliance, extremely emotional and well written.

Watched the pilot and thought it had promise despite major misgivings about Gervais playing the lead.
Then came the first episode of the proper series and I immediately gave up as he just isn't right to play that character. Far too distracting to have him as the central character. It's just too jarring.

Watched the first episode of series two tonight and it's the same thing.
It's canny funny, it's well written, very well directed and so so sweet.
But having him in it detracts from a lot of that.

Will not be watching it next week like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back