Do you think we'll celebrate bonfire night forever?

Not sure it's a celebration. Most don't set off fireworks to celebrate. More of a tradition.
I'm not on of those that spends their time complaining about them and I know loads of people love them, especially kids.
However I've never seen the point of fireworks. It's such a lot of money that literally goes up in smoke.

I kept getting asked to join the Fireworks committee in the village after I ran the beer fest for years. I told them if it was up to me I'd set them all off at once. A bit like many men's sex life. They stopped asking after that.

So bringing us back under the rule of the Pope, and extinguishing a fledgling democracy.

Far more exciting setting your own off

Sounds unlikely
Hardly think it would extinguish a fledgling democracy considering what happened later in the century. Might have accelerated a Civil War as those like Cromwell weren't fond of Catholics either.

I love it and I hope we do. It's one of the few things we do that still has any historical depth to it and which is largely unchanged. Although the bonfires come from Samhain, a pagan harvest festival which is effectively what Halloween has now become a corrupted version of.

Christmas likewise and even then, as we know it now it is largely a 19th century construct.

Plus, I know no reason why gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

And definitely not for your wimpy little dog.

Last edited:
Nah it's shite and will die off soon enough. There'll always be an element of scratters who want to just set off fireworks, but can see those being out-lawed in the coming years.

Used to be canny back in the day mind like others have mentioned, getting wood to build a git massive fire, seeing how big other areas were building there's in the weeks leading up to it. Probably wise that's stopped from a H&S perspective.

In Uni we saved our whole streets bins from the local charvs who'd knicked them for a fire, didn't even get a thanks from most people when we returned them.

It’s a British value
Highlight of the year for Marley potters
Ah yes.... the ritual burning of the Ford Fiesta on the playing fields is indeed soaked both in countless years of tradition plus a good quantity of petrol but its not necessarily confined only to 5th November. It rather depends on whether a likely band of Red House boys can be flagged down in their car before they can get to the top of Elmwood Avenue.

To be fair that could have been caused by just nudging his elbow a bit.
I expect that was it

"OK I'll sign the bloody thing"

"Here y'are then mate... just add your moniker where it says 'the party of the first part herein grants permission for the party of the second part to string him up' and add the date"

"OK. Give me the pen. Here goes... ... errr, excuse me, would you try not to bump into me when I'm writing... I'll have to dip the quill in the ink again now"

"Sorry. Off you go"

"Thanks. Shit! Look, I've done it again. Would you stop nudging me!"

"Apologies mate. Just a bit of fun. Bantz, you know. Lighten the mood"

"Fair enough. I'll try to finish it off this time"

"Off you go"

"Just don't nudge me again ok?"

"Promise. Honest"

"FUCK! AGAIN!! You utter utter bastard. That's it, I'm not signing."

"That's enough anyway mate. We're gonna string you up and cut you up anyway. This was all just for a bet. Somebody owes me a penny now"

Back