Do you think we'll celebrate bonfire night forever?

My daughter and I were chatting last night how remarkable it is that Guy Fawkes night has endured for over 400 years.

We thought about several more worthy celebrations / events / people - I mean old Guido actually didn’t succeed in his attempt !

Typically British and rather wonderful .
Well, except for the years when the Puritans were in charge and banned it as being too exciting. This is despite bonfire night being originally proposed by a Puritan member of parliament ...

Well, except for the years when the Puritans were in charge and banned it as being too exciting. This is despite bonfire night being originally proposed by a Puritan member of parliament ...
By law it had to be observed, only repealed in 1859.
There was an interesting programme on it last weekend on Ch4 or Ch5.

Or a parliament/democracy?

Murdered? He was executed for attempting mass murder of our King and parliament, attempting to drag us back under the control of the Pope again.
Gunpowder plot wasn't about changing the political structure, just about knocking off Protestant rule to bring back Catholic rule. Hence why a warning letter telling someone to avoid going to Parliament became the undoing of the plot.

Gunpowder plot wasn't about changing the political structure, just about knocking off Protestant rule to bring back Catholic rule. Hence why a warning letter telling someone to avoid going to Parliament became the undoing of the plot.
And why the Vatican and its supporters can't complain that we're still wary about them. They are still 'accidentally' sending similar letters.

Luckily for him his neck broke when they hung* him so I'm not sure if the bothered with the drawn and quartered bit.
* Is it hung or hanged?
They still went through with it.
Apparently he leapt from the ladder before it could be twisted away snapping his neck.

I do think it’s on the way out.

We sell fireworks from about a few weeks before the big day and I remember in 2021 I think it was a colleague who later went to the North Shields ASDA to be closer to home, was serving on the cabinet on Nov 4 iirc (it might have been the 5th) and I vividly recall seeing a long queue all the way along the glass barrier outside the self service area in our branch just of customers wanting to purchase fireworks with tickets and receipt in hand.

I was on it on Saturday night (Nov 4) and never saw anything like the long queue my former colleague experienced on the same day 2 years earlier. Not the kind of queue you would expect 24 hours or less before the start of the night.

I was looking outside of my room at all the displays going on and it doesn’t seem as lively as when I was little. Not as many big fireworks.

I think the novelty is waning.

Back