Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

When the prices shot up over a year ago i was paying £190 a month, then last year it dropped to £145. Going into December i was showing as £300ish in credit.

I got email last week saying 'based on usage' it was going up to £185 p/m so I logged on and saw we were still £145 in credit. I was gonna ring them as theyre putting it up based on usage, but im still £145 credit, its coming to warmer months and the April change is coming in.
Anyway, last night i remembered about it and went on line again. Now showing £300 in debit!
I looked over and seems they used estimated readings for Feb and Jan 24 and i hadnt submiited an actual reading since Nov 23. Now im certain i have, monthly, cos i can remember but its a moot point, they aint got them, so it mustnt have gone through.
So last night i submitted meter readings and within 5 mins i got a new statement come through - now £425 in debit! :lol:

So between me looking at my account mid-Feb (and in that period theyve apparently taken estimated readings) and now we've gone from £300+ in credit to £425 debit! :eek::lol:

Strangley enough, new tarriff offer has appeared and theyre now offering me a fixed rate of £165 per month, which is down on the £190 per month they were offering last month.

TBF - it all baffles me!

Last edited:

When the prices shot up over a year ago i was paying £190 a month, then id last year it dropped to £145. Going into December i was showing as £300ish in credit.

I got email last week saying 'based on usage' it was going up to £185 p/m so I logged on and saw we were still £145 in credit. I was gonna ring them as theyre putting it up based on usage, but im still £145 credit, its coming to warmer months and the April change is coming in.
Anyway, last night i remembered about it and went on line again. Now showing £300 in debit!
I looked over and seems they used estimated readings for Feb and Jan 24 and i hadnt submiited an actual reading since Nov 23. Now im certain i have, monthly, cos i can remember but its a moot point, they aint got them, so it mustnt have gone through.
So last night i submitted meter readings and within 5 mins i got a new statement come through - now £425 in debit! :lol:

So between me looking at my account mid-Feb (and in that period theyve apparently taken estimated readings) and now we've gone from £300+ in credit to £425 debit! :eek::lol:

Strangley enough, new tarriff offer has appeared and theyre now offering me a fixed rate of £165 per month, which is down on the £190 per month they were offering last month.

TBF - it all baffles me!
The confusion they create for customers is why they make record profits

Phone the council and ask for a grant to insulate the loft.

it sounds like he doesn't have a loft. It sounds like a single story cottage and the loft have been converted with dormers so they will have large flat roofs. If it was done a long time ago, which is quite common, then the insulation in the bedrooms will be basically none existent.

it sounds like he doesn't have a loft. It sounds like a single story cottage and the loft have been converted with dormers so they will have large flat roofs. If it was done a long time ago, which is quite common, then the insulation in the bedrooms will be basically none existent.
Gotcha, recognise the type of property from your description, i lived in a conversion with no roof space it was freezing upstairs.

I'd still phone the council for advice and a hand-out, every local authority is pushing ways of reducing our carbon footprint, there must be some internal treatment that can be done.

When the prices shot up over a year ago i was paying £190 a month, then last year it dropped to £145. Going into December i was showing as £300ish in credit.

TBF - it all baffles me!
They'd take every penny you have if they could the bastards.

we've got a 20yo house with double glazing and loft insulation, must have cavity wall too, but looking at some of the amounts people are paying, i think my kids must leave the upstairs windows wide open where i cant see and have a fan on blowing the heat out.

I’ve had a bit of a dilemma that has been stressing me out.
So 7 months ago we moved into a new house. Sorting out the energy was a nightmare. Electric was on a prepay so that ripped out and replaced with a smart meter no problems.
Gas is a whole different ball game. I found out the supplier was OVO. Went around the houses on the phone to be told that the address was on their old system and that they would be moving me over as they were doing some system migration. They told me I couldn’t set up a DD but they’d bill me through the post every month and I could just ring up and pay. They haven’t sent one bill. They’ve sent nothing. Trying to explain this every month to different people is just exhausting and I’ve given up. I kept ringing with readings and they would say they’d send a bill out.
So tonight I’ve set up a new gas account with British Gas in the hope that they can bill me properly and that I’ll get a final bill from OVO with 7 months worth of usage.
It’s incredible how inept some of these companies are.

EON are c*nts

Just got an email about their Next Pledge prices changing on April 1st in line with the price caps.

Prices 1st Jan to 31st March
price capeon next pledge
Gas standing charge29.6029.601
Gas price per kwh7.427.123
Electricity standing charge53.3557.436
Electricity price per kwh28.6226.878

Note the standing charge is slightly higher for electricity and basically the same for gas.
The new Prices for 1 April to 30th June

price capeon pledge
Gas Standing charge31.4331.583
gas price per kwh6.045.81
electricity standing charge60.1071.204
electricity price per kwh23.7222.428

The standing charge for Gas has grown more than the price cap standing charge slightly, but look at the increase in electricity standing charge! Overall it will still be cheaper but that standing charge has now smashed through the £1 a day mark and it's supposed to be a good deal.

I`m paying 163 a month now. Think I started winter with about 800 odd credit. Not really scrimped like i did last year but still got 600 or so in there as credit. House is 20 year old so ok-ish in terms of insulation and that but its drafty as owt when its windy, windows / patio doors are shite. Need replacing but its just having the spare cash to do it when i`d rather spend it on going on holiday or something more exciting.

Lad at works house is a brand new 3 bed down boro somewhere. He obviously has the benefit of the smog and radiation keeping the atmosphere warm but whatever they build nowadays must proper retain the heat. He says his barely drops below 18, puts the heating on every couple of days :lol:
Didn't realise the Electric standing charge was going up so much, 57p to 71p.

i noticed ovo were finally offering me fixes which were lower than the variable for first time in ages. Think it was 147 or something instead of 163 but whilst the unit rates were lower there was 20p or so on the standing charge

Last edited:
Didn't realise the Electric standing charge was going up so much, 57p to 71p.

The standard price cap isn't! It's the EON pledge that is going up so much. It will still be cheaper since it's 1.5p per kwh, so once you hit 7kwh of usage per day it still works out better.

Last August I arranged a 12m fixed deal with Shell Energy. In hindsight probably not the best idea, hey ho

I have now been moved to Octopus, without any real consultation. Surely the Shell tariff is now null and void and I should be able to either take advantage of lower prices in April, or go elsewhere without penalty?

After all I didn't ask to be moved

Any thoughts?

Last August I arranged a 12m fixed deal with Shell Energy. In hindsight probably not the best idea, hey ho

I have now been moved to Octopus, without any real consultation. Surely the Shell tariff is now null and void and I should be able to either take advantage of lower prices in April, or go elsewhere without penalty?

After all I didn't ask to be moved

Any thoughts?
Octopus are actually very socially ethical, I’d ask them. They’re intentionally recruiting social workers to work with their vulnerable clients apparently.

I seem to remember them saying if they remove the vat it would benefit the well off more than the people who need help. Also it would damage their attempts to get the country to carbon neutral. As though knocking 5% from people's bills will result in "great let's whack up the thermostat". The real reason is it brings in about 2 billion a year, that's why they won't scrap it.

UK VAT is five per cent ? Bleeming heck. Ours is twenty-five per cent. On everything.
Well I can’t afford £350 a month either.
No way is yours on 24/7 at 20 for £60. That’s impossible.

The system of district heating we use here is different, I know, but my heating is on 24/7 as well and at twenty-three degrees. My monthly heating bill is just over six hundred kroner. About seventy pounds. So not impossible in my eyes.

Last edited:
UK VAT is five per cent ? Bleeming heck. Ours is twenty-five per cent. On everything.

The system of district heating we use here is different, I know, but my heating is on 24/7 as well and at twenty-three degrees. My monthly heating bill is just over six hundred kroner. About seventy pounds. So not impossible in my eyes.
VAT in the is 20% on most things, 5% on energy and 0% on a few things.

EON are c*nts

Just got an email about their Next Pledge prices changing on April 1st in line with the price caps.

Prices 1st Jan to 31st March
price capeon next pledge
Gas standing charge29.6029.601
Gas price per kwh7.427.123
Electricity standing charge53.3557.436
Electricity price per kwh28.6226.878

Note the standing charge is slightly higher for electricity and basically the same for gas.
The new Prices for 1 April to 30th June

price capeon pledge
Gas Standing charge31.4331.583
gas price per kwh6.045.81
electricity standing charge60.1071.204
electricity price per kwh23.7222.428

The standing charge for Gas has grown more than the price cap standing charge slightly, but look at the increase in electricity standing charge! Overall it will still be cheaper but that standing charge has now smashed through the £1 a day mark and it's supposed to be a good deal.

Same with EDF mate. It's an allowed cartel of price fixing. The regulatory body won't do a thing and the government say it's on the regulatory body to wash their hands of it. Whole thing stinks.

Back