Government Petition (Hedgehogs)

Fair play to the rescue team,makes you wonder the hedgehog population of Sunderland,keep up the good work,fascinating little creatures.
Starting to notice a few more round where me and Dad live in our village, very rewarding given we've released some previously and obviously feed them etc. Had one last night we had to check over, released him a few hours later but it's good to know they're around and most definitely picking up in numbers

Just want to bump this to provide an update. Now is a critical time for Hogs as some have already hibernated and others are about to. Please keep an eye out for them during the day, the recent weather has washed a lot of hoglets.

The local rescue at Sunderland currently have 329 hogs in care which is unbelievable numbers.

We still have one feeding and using one of the boxes in our back garden.
How'd you donate to the rescue centre we had two coming into our garden for a few years but disappeared mid summer lot of decking etc in neighbouring gardens/sheds being moved etc.

details here - Home

in the meantime if anyone has spare newspapers, the rescue are down to around 24 hours worth of supplies left and have around 400 hogs to help. They desperately need newspapers.

Please consider them if you have a stash which would normally go in the recycle bin.

Thanks

I saw my first one ever when walking to the station at 05:45ish a couple of weeks back. It came sauntering along to a corner from a side road with the lights behind it. Cast a long long shadow as the side roads a slope downwards. I saw the shadow first and thought it must be a cat or dog.
When we saw each other we just stared and it was sniffing the air. So I crossed the road and watched its little jaunty walk along the main road path to wherever it was heading. Cheered me reet up on a Monday morning.
Im thinking Bob Mitchum to play me?

Last edited:
I don't think it is a waste of time. For me there are several ways of judging whether I like people. One of them is how they treat animals. From those who get a kick out of fox hunting right through to the other end of the spectrum where you find people like your dad.

Good on him for doing this. When humans can get it right protecting and respecting animals then they might have a chance with their own species.

Eyes peeled as some are now starting to wake up. They'll be hungry, wary and a bit wobbly.

If you see them out during the day, please help and get them to a local rescue.

None of our 2 regulars have returned yet but Dad has had 5 in his garden, with 2 caught on camera not looking too good and are currently at the local rescue.

Eyes peeled as some are now starting to wake up. They'll be hungry, wary and a bit wobbly.

If you see them out during the day, please help and get them to a local rescue.

None of our 2 regulars have returned yet but Dad has had 5 in his garden, with 2 caught on camera not looking too good and are currently at the local rescue.

Superb.
My Brother had a few in his garden last year then they disappeared.
Found out that Badgers had moved in and taken the lot :(

Hedgehogs don't hibernate from November until March.
They hibernate as required when the temperature drops.
My hogs have been active for most of the winter, apart from a few weeks over a couple of cold spells.

Hedgehogs don't hibernate from November until March.
They hibernate as required when the temperature drops.
My hogs have been active for most of the winter, apart from a few weeks over a couple of cold spells.
That's why I said "some" though mine has been in hibernation since mid December. Only healthy strong hogs can attempt hibernation. My dad's hogs in his garden have been active for about a month now and he's got new visitors on top of his usual lot. They are very hungry so they're going through food quite quickly at the moment to build back up their strength especially males ahead of mating sesson. We've got one confirmed hibernating in one of our boxes which hibernated mid December (was a good weight as it was eating very well before hibernating), but as of yet no sign of the other one since November (either means he's still hibernating or he's dead, though was a very good weight so my assumption will be it's hibernated) though last year they didn't appear until April. Hibernation is a variation as some don't bother usually because they aren't strong enough and need food all winger, some do for several months and some drop in and out of hibernation. We've had a mixed bag between what we foster indoors and what we have outside, then what my Dad has had for several years, they seemed to hibernate for a few months in his garden because they are well fed and are at a fine weight to hibernate unlike some who don't hibernate because they aren't strong enough to do so. (We have the cameras out every night and you can tell from the front of the box when there is activity, plus the feeding station isn't touched. I haven't seen any outdoors this winter yet (I take that as a positive locally during the winter). My wife hasn't been up to the local rescue for a while and her view is that it's been a quiet winter for them (WhatsApp group) which is good news. It will of course ramp up soon which is the usual trend for rescues in the Spring with strimmer injuries common. The majority will soon be waking up though and they'll be weak and absolutely desperate for food and water as they have used their reserves to hibernate. They need all the support possible and as a race we don't do enough hence their numbers have declined rapidly. Fascinating animals and always learning everyday about them. I've known some hogs to hibernate in September. Temperature plays only a tiny part in the hibernation trigger. Males tend to come out of hibernation a few weeks earlier so they can get weight gained ahead of mating.

Logon or register to see this image

1st one of the year at home caught on camera. Suspect it's the one we have hibernating in the box down the side of the house, either way delighted. Always worry when they're not about. Hopefully the first of many for the year.

Reckon we may have had 2 on the back lawn last night.
Light virtually faded and were under the bird feeder in the middle of the lawn.
They disappeared ever so quickly, hoping they were not rats.
Keeping an eye out. They do enjoy suet pellets.🤞

Back