Guitar Gear Thread. Your new, next or future guitars, amps, FX etc.

the lad from PMTVUK guitars was at Elvana last night. I had no idea he was so tall

oh ffs I've wanted to see Elvana for ages, had no idea they were playing
Todays messing about

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’ve got 3 guitars with pau ferro necks. 2 of them are quite dark but the strat neck was really pale so I’ve decided to try some monty presso relic wax on it.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
not much progress on the jazz blaster build, but things might heat up soon. Neck plate arrived a few weeks ago, they got joined up today. You can't tell off that photo but the neck pocket seems to have a massive angle carved in. Shouldn't be any need to shim this

View attachment 13800

Can't remember if I put this in another post but I found the body was drilled out to take a tune-o-matic bridge, so I had to cancel the staytrem that was going into it. I could fill and re-drill for smaller posts but didn't want the hassle. I found Fender make a TOM bridge, and there are none in the UK. I have one on the way from France, but it seems to be missing in customs ffs.

I may have also blew the budget on a loaded pick guard this morning which is coming from the southern hemisphere. Given customs can't clear anything from France in a fortnight god knows how long something from Australia is gonna be held.

And yes my floor needs a vacuuming
I have been meaning to ask, what sort of paint did you use on this?

I have been meaning to ask, what sort of paint did you use on this?

it was poly coated from the shop (northwest guitars). I've been toying with stripping it back but I want another JM body as a backup in case I screw it up and they're really hard to come across for a reasonable price. These ones are in pole position unless one crops up on ebay or marketplace.

The TOM bridge on it moves more than any other TOM bridge I've ever seen, basically the exact opposite of what the TOM bridge is supposed to do. The problem is the drilled thimble post holes on the body are straight while I think the Fender TOM thimbles narrow slightly through the hole. If you use the trem the whole bridge tilts forward, which is fine if you had the Fender floating bridge but not what you want for the TOM style. I could bodge the job with matchsticks or toothpicks down the side of the post thimble

it was poly coated from the shop (northwest guitars). I've been toying with stripping it back but I want another JM body as a backup in case I screw it up and they're really hard to come across for a reasonable price. These ones are in pole position unless one crops up on ebay or marketplace.

The TOM bridge on it moves more than any other TOM bridge I've ever seen, basically the exact opposite of what the TOM bridge is supposed to do. The problem is the drilled thimble post holes on the body are straight while I think the Fender TOM thimbles narrow slightly through the hole. If you use the trem the whole bridge tilts forward, which is fine if you had the Fender floating bridge but not what you want for the TOM style. I could bodge the job with matchsticks or toothpicks down the side of the post thimble
Have you checked out MJT? They’re always listing new ones on eBay starting at $250 (nitro finish) they start at $450 on their website - the eBay store is great value. You get lightweight ash ones popping up too.

Really good quality. Routes are all correct. I’ve got a Strat body - going to do a p bass next. Dunno what shipping to UK is through.

MJT Official Custom Vintage Aged Nitro Guitar Body Mark Jenny VTJ 3-Tone Burst | eBay

Cheers, I thought you had painted it yourself.

Looking around, most of the guitar suppliers seem to sell nitro paint rather than poly, but that looks like it normally is thinner and lets the wood grain show through.

Cheers, I thought you had painted it yourself.

Looking around, most of the guitar suppliers seem to sell nitro paint rather than poly, but that looks like it normally is thinner and lets the wood grain show through.

There's a whole world of theories around the guitar finish and does it effect the sound. A lot of people swear the nitro finish lets the wood sing a bit more which is why it's still a thing. I've painted cars before so I don't mind having a go at painting a guitar body. Are you thinking of having a go at it?
Have you checked out MJT? They’re always listing new ones on eBay starting at $250 (nitro finish) they start at $450 on their website - the eBay store is great value. You get lightweight ash ones popping up too.

Really good quality. Routes are all correct. I’ve got a Strat body - going to do a p bass next. Dunno what shipping to UK is through.

MJT Official Custom Vintage Aged Nitro Guitar Body Mark Jenny VTJ 3-Tone Burst | eBay

Never thought of shipping in from the USA but those and the other prices on the eBay.com blow the mad prices people in the UK are asking.

Last edited:
How much to re-fret my acoustic guitar and looking for local Luthier? it's not an expensive guitar so don't want to pay loads. Just want to repair and let my son play it.

There's a whole world of theories around the guitar finish and does it effect the sound. A lot of people swear the nitro finish lets the wood sing a bit more which is why it's still a thing. I've painted cars before so I don't mind having a go at painting a guitar body. Are you thinking of having a go at it?

Never thought of shipping in from the USA but those and the other prices on the eBay.com blow the mad prices people in the UK are asking.
Cheers. I was thinking about it, from bare wood upwards.

How much to re-fret my acoustic guitar and looking for local Luthier? it's not an expensive guitar so don't want to pay loads. Just want to repair and let my son play it.
Does it definitely need a full refret? You might be able to get away with just a fret dress/fret recrown if the frets aren't completely buggered. Would be a lot cheaper than a refret; if it's only a cheapish guitar then the regret might actually cost more than what the guitar's worth!

Does it definitely need a full refret? You might be able to get away with just a fret dress/fret recrown if the frets aren't completely buggered. Would be a lot cheaper than a refret; if it's only a cheapish guitar then the regret might actually cost more than what the guitar's worth!
100% this ^^^^^
Unless the guitar holds sentimental value or a really good make/ model ....if its only worth around £250 then sod the refret and buy a s/h acoustic for £250 that will knock your old one out the park...

It probably needs 3/4 frets tbh. Too worn down I think for a fret dress.
It’s my first guitar. I used to press down f***ing hard on the strings when first learning.

Last edited:

Back