Guitar Gear Thread. Your new, next or future guitars, amps, FX etc.

@fyl2u

What's your practice regime? I'm in a deflated mood with me lead playing and I need something to break out of the bluesy pentatonic boxes I've trapped meself in. I'm not overly interested in shredding, but I can't help but think a bit of shredding might tighten up my technique (which comes and goes as I don't play often enough), strength and stamina, and I think I'd like it in me arsenal just to prove it's a case of not wanting to play it rather than being unable to. :lol:

I want some exercises/scales/licks to twiddle away with. Nowt too boring - I cannot be on with 1-2-3-4 up and down the fret board.
Check out the YouTube lad Bernth (the best YT teacher imo along with Ben Eller and Bradley Hall) his warmup and technique exercise play alongs are great. I did this one daily for a while and saw amazing improvement.

Check out the YouTube lad Bernth (the best YT teacher imo along with Ben Eller and Bradley Hall) his warmup and technique exercise play alongs are great. I did this one daily for a while and saw amazing improvement.

You see, they have fingers the size of pencils, his left hand looks freakish. Fat fingers here struggles big time

I’d love a proper old mustang. Played a few and they’ve all had that little bit of magic hiding in there.

My dream would be a 30’s 000-28 (fat chance)

I reckon there’s a correction coming to the vintage market soon tho..
I'd say there's no chance of that happening. The 'bedroom traders' on (for example) ebay are highly efficient at how they operate. Private sellers are being shafted for (even) sound old LPs and when they tell their story on guitar forums, there are any amount of forum die-hards willing to protect the reputation of the 'bedroom trader'. That leaves you with 'guitar forum' sellers (The Fretboard for example - mostly a good thing) and genuine good dealers (find them on The Fretboard) with great reputations who unfortunately are at the mercy of the crazy market being created by the 'bedroom traders'
Footnote: [Bedroom Trader = Businesses operating from homes]
The biggest neglected skill is playing great rhythm guitar. We spend an enormous amount of time practicing a skill that fills a tiny part of a song.

Great rhythm playing gets you hired every time.
It's probably why David Bowie (and tons of other superstars) would hire Nile Rodgers to 'make-hits' rather than some Olympic speed shredding machine.

Last edited:
I'd say there's no chance of that happening. The 'bedroom traders' on (for example) ebay are highly efficient at how they operate. Private sellers are being shafted for (even) sound old LPs and when they tell their story on guitar forums, there are any amount of forum die-hards willing to protect the reputation of the 'bedroom trader'. That leaves you with 'guitar forum' sellers (The Fretboard for example - mostly a good thing) and genuine good dealers (find them on The Fretboard) with great reputations who unfortunately are at the mercy of the crazy market being created by the 'bedroom traders'

It's probably why David Bowie (and tons of other superstars) would hire Nile Rodgers to 'make-hits' rather than some Olympic speed shredding machine.
Be on time, play in time, play well with others.

Ya hired!

Kinda depends who it is you wanna play for.

To play for Michael Jackson you'd need to be a shredmaster who was also good at rhythm.

If you were looking to be Steve Vai's backing guitarist, or Frank Zappa's back in the day, or be the replacement lead guitarist in Megadeth or pretty much any classic rock/metal band, then you're gonna need the chops.

Kinda depends who it is you wanna play for.

To play for Michael Jackson you'd need to be a shredmaster who was also good at rhythm.

If you were looking to be Steve Vai's backing guitarist, or Frank Zappa's back in the day, or be the replacement lead guitarist in Megadeth or pretty much any classic rock/metal band, then you're gonna need the chops.
I might be in the minority here but I just can't get away with the sound of someone flexing or shredding. I can absolutely appreciate the talent and technique of those who can play super fast but the actual sound it makes just does nothing for me.
I'd much prefer to listen to someone who can play tastefully with good touch and feel. I guess it's all subjective I just mentally switch off when you see these virtuosos doing fretboard gymnastics.

I might be in the minority here but I just can't get away with the sound of someone flexing or shredding. I can absolutely appreciate the talent and technique of those who can play super fast but the actual sound it makes just does nothing for me.
I'd much prefer to listen to someone who can play tastefully with good touch and feel. I guess it's all subjective I just mentally switch off when you see these virtuosos doing fretboard gymnastics.

Its probably not a minority in fairness. Its speed jazz with the gain turned up. A tasteful solo with space between phrases is a thing of beauty. Knowing when not to play is as important as knowing when to.

Its probably not a minority in fairness. Its speed jazz with the gain turned up. A tasteful solo with space between phrases is a thing of beauty. Knowing when not to play is as important as knowing when to.
Gilmour can wring more feel out of five notes than some players who shred. The most memorable riffs, licks and solos are ones you can hum. But of course the ability to fly up, down and across the fretboard is impressive.

Some guitarists look at sax players to learn phrasing. Because they have to breathe they need to have spaces in the music.

Probably wishful thinking on my part. I don’t follow the electric market so can’t comment on that, but the used acoustic market has certainly softened. And the sky high vintage guitars are starting to sit.

Covid was the perfect storm - manufacturing shut down and everybody and their mam buying up guitars.

I mainly look at old Martin and Gibson flat tops, not that I can afford them 😞

I'm the same like - which is in part a big reason I've never developed that skillset. However, I now sorta want it in me locker, and feel like it may benefit other aspects like strength, precision and dexterity. And let's face it, we all widdle at some point.

Back