Guitar re-string

Status
Not open for further replies.

Re stringing a guitar isn't as simple as replacing the strings. You should take the time to make sure the neck is correctly tensioned and is true. This job should be done by someone who has a bit experience imho.

Can somebody tell me where I can go to get some shoelaces fitted to my trainers and how much it'll cost?

Re stringing a guitar isn't as simple as replacing the strings. You should take the time to make sure the neck is correctly tensioned and is true. This job should be done by someone who has a bit experience imho.

Errr....no you don't have to. One set up a year is more than sufficient if you're simply swapping over the same gauge strings and is generally ok for even one gauge up (9s to 10s - probably not for 10s to 11s). If you regularly play guitar in significantly different temperatures and humidity then you may need more but you don't need to do it every time at all. Given a professional set up can cost quite a bit, it would be rather expensive to do it each time.

Strange thread :lol:

As others have said, do it yerself. Clean the fretboard while yer at it. You can get lemon oil from guitar shops, or Teak oil from homebase will do UNLESS its a maple fretboard.

IF you want a proper set up, take it down to Riff Raff guitars in town, just down from Quick fit and the William Jameson Wetherspoons. Cheapest I've ever known and the bloke who runs it does really good work.

Errr....no you don't have to. One set up a year is more than sufficient if you're simply swapping over the same gauge strings and is generally ok for even one gauge up (9s to 10s - probably not for 10s to 11s). If you regularly play guitar in significantly different temperatures and humidity then you may need more but you don't need to do it every time at all. Given a professional set up can cost quite a bit, it would be rather expensive to do it each time.

Well, okay. Someone with experience could swap strings and keep a similar tension on the neck without lifting the strings from the fret. Someone who asks on a football forum should probably get it done by someone else.

Just my opinion of course.

A good friend of mine builds/ tunes guitars as a retirement hobby. Cracking bloke, knows exactly what he is doing and does it for the satisfaction rather than an income.

Well, okay. Someone with experience could swap strings and keep a similar tension on the neck without lifting the strings from the fret. Someone who asks on a football forum should probably get it done by someone else.

Just my opinion of course.

A good friend of mine builds/ tunes guitars as a retirement hobby. Cracking bloke, knows exactly what he is doing and does it for the satisfaction rather than an income.
We have half a dozen experienced players and at least 2 experienced luthiers on here though.Personally ive always found replacing same guage strings or even up one, if you do it string by string rather than all off then all on, you keep the tension and the neck in shape.Its just floyd rose`s i find to be a bastard

just try it yasel man. its a ballache the first time but you'll get th
Acoustic.

Am takin it to the shop next to the Burton House. Balls to ye's. :lol:

DIY man. Its a piece of piss.
When its strung, play a ditty, smash it, then set it on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back