Harvey Elliot

That would be a risk for me, given we aren't that strong defensively. Rice alongside a lad who can sit deeper but is comfortable on the ball and getting forward, like mainoo, sounds better than having potentially Bellingham and Maddison together in attacking mid, especially since they'd probably want to be in the same positions and might end up being less effective as a result
i mean im not an england fan so wont profess to know..but are england bad at defensive now?

i mean im not an england fan so wont profess to know..but are england bad at defensive now?
Well, Maguire is a likely starter and is slow as fuck so you don't really want him exposed (I'd start gomez instead but unlikely Southgate will). Don't see Chilwell as being particularly strong defensively. Out wide Foden isn't great defensively. Saka is a bit better at it. So I'm happy with the right side of walker and Saka, but left and centre is a weak spot. Do we gain enough by putting another attacking mid in there? Bellingham is fine doing that on his own. I wouldn't want two totally defensive players, but mainoo looks a good option. Don't think the likes of Palmer/ maddison really win you a tournament, but being exposed at the back can lose us one. If we had another player as his as Bellingham maybe you change it, but we aren't in that situation

Doesn't Mainoo play a bit deeper?

The talent available further up the midfield will see Elliott waiting a bit yet. If he gets in at all.

This. Close the thread.
Well, Maguire is a likely starter and is slow as fuck so you don't really want him exposed (I'd start gomez instead but unlikely Southgate will). Don't see Chilwell as being particularly strong defensively. Out wide Foden isn't great defensively. Saka is a bit better at it. So I'm happy with the right side of walker and Saka, but left and centre is a weak spot. Do we gain enough by putting another attacking mid in there? Bellingham is fine doing that on his own. I wouldn't want two totally defensive players, but mainoo looks a good option. Don't think the likes of Palmer/ maddison really win you a tournament, but being exposed at the back can lose us one. If we had another player as his as Bellingham maybe you change it, but we aren't in that situation

Gomez is a perennial Southgate favourite as well and played some age group football with Stones iirc.

It’s a faint hope, but the only hope when it comes to replacing Maguire.

Last edited:
Just noticed Manioo has had 15 games for United (Wondered why I hadn't heard of him) and somehow that's earned him 2 England caps, there would be hell on if they'd called a lower table teams new youth talent up after only 15 games.

He's brilliant like. Calm and composed, great in tight spaces. Can tackle too.
Fair enough, 15 games still doesn't seem anywhere near enough and as I said, if he did it for Palace or Bournemouth or someone I struggle to believe he'd have 2 caps to his name already but hope he is this unearthed gem at a young age and has a long and successfull England career.

Just noticed Manioo has had 15 games for United (Wondered why I hadn't heard of him) and somehow that's earned him 2 England caps, there would be hell on if they'd called a lower table teams new youth talent up after only 15 games.

Because he is one of the best midfielders in the country already at 18.

Fair enough, 15 games still doesn't seem anywhere near enough and as I said, if he did it for Palace or Bournemouth or someone I struggle to believe he'd have 2 caps to his name already but hope he is this unearthed gem at a young age and has a long and successfull England career.
Watch him, he's different. There's a reason why he's playing every game for Man United. He's playing infront of 70k people and it's like he's playing with his marras at goals. Nowt fazes him. Sometimes there's a special player comes around. That's the reason why he's at man United and not Palace or Bournemouth.

Back