Headphones

Found out today that in the new year I'm likely working away/travelling a lot. So I'm thinking about getting some new headphones to while away the train journeys.

Any recommendations SMB? I haven't actually bought any in years and have used the ones that came free with my phone on the odd occasions I've needed them.

Prefer the over the ear style, and I don't want to spend a fortune. But I'm told the in ear "buds" are much improved these days.

If it helps I'm an android user...

You can sometimes pick up the Pixel Buds Pro on eBay or marketplace a bit cheaper than RRP, as a few deals for the pixel phone you get them free so people flog on.

I wouldn't pay full whack for them but use mine religiously for work calls, outdoors, running etc. they connect quick and noise cancelling is good

Whatever headphones you buy I recommend you get something like this too. Adds some oomph to the experience of listening to music through your phone.

I have Jabra 85s - I’m no expert on audio but these things are feckin incredible.

( not sure on cost mind - did a job for someone and didn’t charge - next thing these arrived as a thank you)

I use these. Use them when out on my bike, you can still hear the world going on around you.

I've looked at these and I love the idea, but would need to try them as I can't wrap my head around how they work! I can't imagine how it sounds to hear outside world and music at the same time without one cancelling out the other

Does the sound leak out to other people (my pet hate!)?

Buds are so much better these days, and more than good enough for trains. Advantage is you can just whack in your pocket

Over ear I use on flights only
I’d like to wear buds - tried out my sons , but one fell out and the other wouldn’t go in.

65 years old before I realised I had odd lugholes……….now I know why folk were pointing and laughing…….

I’d like to wear buds - tried out my sons , but one fell out and the other wouldn’t go in.

65 years old before I realised I had odd lugholes……….now I know why folk were pointing and laughing…….
Ah, the decent ones have different fits however

I’ve got AirPods which doesn’t help I know, but they have different tips

I've just bought the Shure AONIC 40 over ear headphones and they are currently half price ÂŁ135! Impressive sound quality and great ANC and battery life. And it's free shopping also...

Found out today that in the new year I'm likely working away/travelling a lot. So I'm thinking about getting some new headphones to while away the train journeys.

Any recommendations SMB? I haven't actually bought any in years and have used the ones that came free with my phone on the odd occasions I've needed them.

Prefer the over the ear style, and I don't want to spend a fortune. But I'm told the in ear "buds" are much improved these days.

If it helps I'm an android user...
Are you using them for music or podcasts/plays etc?
I picked my last pair up on Amazon for under ÂŁ10 for my android phone.
Use them mainly for podcasts and no drama if I lose them unlike the Cambridge Audio ones when I accidently dropped one down a drain 🤬

I've looked at these and I love the idea, but would need to try them as I can't wrap my head around how they work! I can't imagine how it sounds to hear outside world and music at the same time without one cancelling out the other

Does the sound leak out to other people (my pet hate!)?
Not at all. It’s kinda like having background music. You can turn it up and people will barely hear it but your ears will be ringing if you gave it that loud

Are you using them for music or podcasts/plays etc?
I picked my last pair up on Amazon for under ÂŁ10 for my android phone.
Use them mainly for podcasts and no drama if I lose them unlike the Cambridge Audio ones when I accidently dropped one down a drain 🤬

Mainly music, though I do like a bit of online radio/podcast

Theres a lot to be said for cheap, I'll probably end up dropping one if I get the bud-type ones.

Back