Highest fee paid outside premier league

What’s the highest fee we have paid for a player whilst not a premier league side ?
At a guess Lee Clark at 2.5m. Possibly someone we currently have with add ons?
I don’t think we’ll have paid out any add ons for Grigg and don’t believe we paid 3m up front but possibly him.

Grigg signed for Sunderland on transfer deadline day, 31 January 2019 for a fee of £3,000,000, which remains the highest transfer fee paid by an English third-division club.[58]

The lack of investment in our playing staff over the years is quite shocking it’s nearly 30 years since the mags paid 15 mill for shearer and we still haven’t surpassed that , now in 2024 we haven’t paid over 3 million for a player whilst in the championship
How many clubs have? Genuine question. I’m guessing now quite a few but probably relegated from top flight sides in the main.

The lack of investment in our playing staff over the years is quite shocking it’s nearly 30 years since the mags paid 15 mill for shearer and we still haven’t surpassed that , now in 2024 we haven’t paid over 3 million for a player whilst in the championship
If we’d been in the championship in the era we were spending £10m on Gyan, Bent, Fletcher, Johnson we absolutely would have spent more in the second tier. We were just in the premiership all that time

Most Expensive Championship Signings:

1. Ruben Neves – £15.8 million
  2. Britt Assombalonga - £15 million
  3. Helder Costa - £15 million
  4. Joao Carvalho - £13.2 million
  5. Helder Costa - £13 million
  6. Ross McCormack – £12 million
  7. Benik Afobe – £12 million
  8. Scott Hogan – £12 million
  9. Jonathan Kodjia - £11 million
  10. Matt Ritchie - £11 million
McCormack made sense on paper, deadly championship striker but turned to shit once he went to Villa and never recovered, money must have went to his head.

I think flo was somewhere around £15-18m if I recall. We also broke the keeper record at the time paying £12m for Craig Gordon. That was before Short came in and threw £250m away on players. So you’re not quite right.

I think flo was somewhere around £15-18m if I recall. We also broke the keeper record at the time paying £12m for Craig Gordon. That was before Short came in and threw £250m away on players. So you’re not quite right.
Jeez those were the days, can't afford a tin of paint to do up the stadium nowadays.

Back