Highest fee paid outside premier league

How many clubs have? Genuine question. I’m guessing now quite a few but probably relegated from top flight sides in the main.
However, let’s not forget that we’ve been relegated from the top flight on numerous occasions.
I think flo was somewhere around £15-18m if I recall. We also broke the keeper record at the time paying £12m for Craig Gordon. That was before Short came in and threw £250m away on players. So you’re not quite right.
Flo was around 8million. I don’t recall if that fee included some other player. Maybe it was 10 mill with Marcus Stewart alongside him. I’m not googling. This is from memory.

One thing I’m sure of- there is no way we paid 15-18 million for him.

Last edited:

The current financial governance regulations make it almost impossible for non-prem clubs to spenk a bundle on one player.

Clubs still receiving parachute payments are an exception due to their skewed revenue figures.

The only way to get get promoted from the Championship is to build a business from the bottom up with sound financial principles, although investment capital can still be added provided it meets the stringent regulations.

Tore Andre Flo was absolutely nowhere near £15-18 million. Closer to £6 million.
So I reckon it was announced as 8 mil at the time and that included another player, possibly Stewart.
Time for a google.

That was big money, and I think Bob murray recently commented on flo being a bit of a twat.

So I reckon it was announced as 8 mil at the time and that included another player, possibly Stewart.
Time for a google.

That was big money, and I think Bob murray recently commented on flo being a bit of a twat.
Flo had no interest in being here and to be honest, he was well past his best by the time we signed him. I can vividly remember him scoring against united on his debut, then doing little else more in his time here. Marcus Stewart turned out 10x the player Flo was for us.

First click on google- doesn’t prove much but that’s how I recalled it.

Interesting who we missed out on. I remember that we were chasing a youngster but didn’t know who he was….
Flo had no interest in being here and to be honest, he was well past his best by the time we signed him. I can vividly remember him scoring against united on his debut, then doing little else more in his time here. Marcus Stewart turned out 10x the player Flo was for us.
Exactly this.

I think flo was somewhere around £15-18m if I recall. We also broke the keeper record at the time paying £12m for Craig Gordon. That was before Short came in and threw £250m away on players. So you’re not quite right.
I thought Flo was half that and Gordon 8m

Stokes at 3million possibly our last big championship spend?
Connolly same season maybe.

We have been in financial shambles last time in championship and then this model. Keane spent a bit though

N'dong is still down as our record signing at something like 14m. Grim, when considering we were in the Premiership for over a decade.

The lack of investment in our playing staff over the years is quite shocking it’s nearly 30 years since the mags paid 15 mill for shearer and we still haven’t surpassed that , now in 2024 we haven’t paid over 3 million for a player whilst in the championship
And they still won nowt

Back