If England dont win the Euros

Should he be replaced if we dont win the euros. Going off the friendlies he has a really young squad again, another squad that has the potential to come good in a tournament or twos time if not now. Is anything less than 1st place going to be accepted, I'm thinking probably not by the fans, I think the FA are more than happy.

Do I think england are making a mistake if they get rid of him after the summer, probably.

Can't help but think if they go down the route of anyone else it simply won't work the same as it has under GS, he's got the whole of the English football set up going in one direction player wise (bar ben white) and it's been a largely positive one if you consider every result and tournament standings.

Or we can go back to chopping and changing every few years or so unless they can tie down one of the current elite managers for a long period, which i cant see happening.

Do I think he will win anything, think he's had/got as good a chance if not better than anyone in my lifetime even if I don't agree with his decisions or game management sometimes. From where he started to where he is I've got nothing but admiration for GS.

Would I be pissed off regularly paying to watch England, yes. But I don't so personally I'm happy to let him ride out his vision of what english football should look like.

I am just about his biggest defender on here.

But this should be his last tournament, whatever happens, even if they win. It’ll have been four tournaments. It’s time.
Going to be a lot of disappointed folk again me thinks.

Disappointed when we win and the twisting has to stop, aye.

Last edited:

There's numerous managers who would have won one of these last 3 tournaments with the squads Southgate has had at his disposal. Criminal we're letting him have another crack really.

Tactically outclassed pretty much every time we come up against a half decent nation.

His record against top 10 nations is damning, and the majority of those handful of wins were in the nations league, which no one really cares about anyway.
We have won one trophy in 70 years and have had sides with great quality in every position unlike now. We haven’t been outclassed at all imo off anyone.

Should he be replaced if we dont win the euros. Going off the friendlies he has a really young squad again, another squad that has the potential to come good in a tournament or twos time if not now. Is anything less than 1st place going to be accepted, I'm thinking probably not by the fans, I think the FA are more than happy.

Do I think england are making a mistake if they get rid of him after the summer, probably.

Can't help but think if they go down the route of anyone else it simply won't work the same as it has under GS, he's got the whole of the English football set up going in one direction player wise (bar ben white) and it's been a largely positive one if you consider every result and tournament standings.

Or we can go back to chopping and changing every few years or so unless they can tie down one of the current elite managers for a long period, which i cant see happening.

Do I think he will win anything, think he's had/got as good a chance if not better than anyone in my lifetime even if I don't agree with his decisions or game management sometimes. From where he started to where he is I've got nothing but admiration for GS.

Would I be pissed off regularly paying to watch England, yes. But I don't so personally I'm happy to let him ride out his vision of what english football should look like.
Your point is?

Tough call really and depends on who is available to replace him but I do think if he doesn't win this one he's probably done as best as he can and taking that final step is beyond him (no shame in a Euro final, WC semi and quarter so far tbf).

Think he's been out-thought tactically in his biggest games tbh, not sure anyone steps in and does better either though. We have some great players but play way to negatively with them. I'd quite like to see someone else have a go who is more attack mides just to see how it works tbh but I'm not anti Southgate either, he's done a good job.

Does anyone care about international football?

It’s rubbish. Yes maybe the QF in the summer will be ok games but they are miles behind the champions league QF.

Football is the only sport where international football is not the pinnacle. If it was you’d have central contracts like cricket.

It’s rubbish. Yes maybe the QF in the summer will be ok games but they are miles behind the champions league QF.

Football is the only sport where international football is not the pinnacle. If it was you’d have central contracts like cricket.
Ice hockey and basketball I'd argue aren't either

People see England as having one if the best squad of players if not the best.
Expectations are high. A win or a very unlucky final defeat will be the only results seen as acceptable imo.
I agree. However, with Southgate in charge we will be knocked out by France in the SF’s after he tries to shoehorn either Gallagher, Phillips or Henderson into the side as a second holding midfielder, whilst Maguire gets a pasting from Mbappe. Sadly.

They should win. But there’s a lot of sensationalism about this England team. The Back 4 just hasn’t moved forward in 6yrs. It’ll be the thing that costs us. The midfield always feels one quality player short. I’m yet to see Foden get anywhere near his club form for England. Left hand side doesn’t have loads of world class in form options too.

However, having Kane, Bellingham, Saka etc really ought to be enough.

Ice hockey and basketball I'd argue aren't either
Or Baseball, Rugby League, Darts, Snooker, Golf, Cricket, etc. In fact it could be argued that in every team sport the highest quality games are played between the richest club sides with the possible exception of Rugby Union - which is only because the best players are mostly forced to play in their own national leagues or lose out on central contracts.

Yes

Or Baseball, Rugby League, Darts, Snooker, Golf, Cricket, etc. In fact it could be argued that in every team sport the highest quality games are played between the richest club sides with the possible exception of Rugby Union - which is only because the best players are mostly forced to play in their own national leagues or lose out on central contracts.
Cricket internationals are still the pinnacle.

Cricket internationals are still the pinnacle.
They most definitely are not. The IPL is where the best games are played, the best players play, the biggest money is involved, the biggest crowds watch, and it has created global franchise cricket. Most players prioritise their IPL contract over playing for their countries.

We have won one trophy in 70 years and have had sides with great quality in every position unlike now. We haven’t been outclassed at all imo off anyone.
We're heading into this tournament with the best squad all round imo.

Anything other than winning the lot should be seen as a failure. We've got the best striker in world football, and on current form the best player in world football too.

I've no confidence we will beat France who we will likely meet in the Semi finals, and thats if we get past whoever comes second in the Italy/Spain/Croatia group who we could play in the quarters.

Hope I'm wrong though.

It definitely wont.

At no point under Southgate have England exceeded expectations. Mowbray getting us into the playoffs last season would have been a huge over-achievement even if you didn't factor in the injuries we had.

Unless England also bring in Michael Beale, we will only improve after Southgate imo.
Getting us into the playoffs was the minimum not a huge over achievement ffs

Getting us into the playoffs was the minimum not a huge over achievement ffs
It absolutely wasn't the minimum ffs.

Majority on here were saying at the start of that season mid table finish. Then when you consider the face we didn't have a proper striker for over half the season, the fact we made the playoffs was an over-achievement.

It absolutely wasn't the minimum ffs.

Majority on here were saying at the start of that season mid table finish. Then when you consider the face we didn't have a proper striker for over half the season, the fact we made the playoffs was an over-achievement.
In your opinion, it’s utterly embarrassing as a Sunderland fan not to expect us to at least challenge for promotion.

Back