I'm no longer a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS we have quite a few working very strict 35 hour weeks or less because of family commitments, albeit mostly (but not entirely) amongst the admin staff rather than the professional staff.

I'm opted out of the WT Directive and so are most staff. However, private sector is different: rewards are better and everyone understands that even though there is no formal link, nor can there be. Having said that we keep an eye on hours and have a word with anyone working excessively and get extra resource if need be. If we're quiet I regularly shoo people out of the door at 5pm. If we're busy and working very late, we make sure people get time off in lieu. I actually doubt anyone in hours exceeds 50 hours a week and yet we're all signed out. Odd old world, isn't it?
I was told by someone in Risk that apparently our contracts automatically opt is out of the WTD here. I told them I doubt that would be legal, but I need to check with HR.

It's actually quite difficult to do more than 47 hours a week once you factor in holidays over a 17 week period, except when you're workig your holidays as most teachers here seem to be doing. I'm glad I opted out of teaching.

Ps Janie, what are the benefits of opting out of the WTD? It seems to me that you're just signing away any protection? Why would I opt out?

I was told by someone in Risk that apparently our contracts automatically opt is out of the WTD here. I told them I doubt that would be legal, but I need to check with HR.

It's actually quite difficult to do more than 47 hours a week once you factor in holidays over a 17 week period, except when you're workig your holidays as most teachers here seem to be doing. I'm glad I opted out of teaching.
I love it when the people in Risk ignore risks :lol:. Still, more work for the likes of me;).

I'm opted out of the WT Directive and so are most staff. However, private sector is different: rewards are better and everyone understands that even though there is no formal link, nor can there be. Having said that we keep an eye on hours and have a word with anyone working excessively and get extra resource if need be. If we're quiet I regularly shoo people out of the door at 5pm. If we're busy and working very late, we make sure people get time off in lieu. I actually doubt anyone in hours exceeds 50 hours a week and yet we're all signed out. Odd old world, isn't it?
By the very nature of central government work, a lot of hours would involve travelling which would be a grey area as to whether it was a project cost or not. I worked with a lunatic who racked up hundreds of hours (he took two days leave in a whole year) beyond his working time and pretty much destroyed his life away from work. It was appalling management, especially as a few of us broached the subject numerous times. As you point out, good management helps here.

Ps Janie, what are the benefits of opting out of the WTD? It seems to me that you're just signing away any protection? Why would I opt out?
For the employee, none. I suppose you are showing a bit of good will to your employer and saving them the hassle of having to monitor your hours. My "real world" advice to people who work in our fields is opt out if you are asked to and it's not really a big deal (which for reasons discussed above it often isn't gievn hols as you say), but don't forget you can opt back in at any time and entirely at your own election. If hours become a proble, raise it and try to see if it can be resolved, and use the opt back in as a last resort.

Lesson are graded on a scale of 1-4 with 1 being outstanding and 4 inadequate. 2 is good so realistically you are looking for a 1 or a 2+ which is good with outstanding features.

That scale can't be right. A 2- would be better than a 2+ surely?

Wel yesterday I had people pressurising me to start work at a school, even part time and pick my own days/classes. That's the state of education at the moment. Those who think teaching is easy or that teachers being overworked is a myth should think about the teaching experience their kids are getting today.

Wel yesterday I had people pressurising me to start work at a school, even part time and pick my own days/classes. That's the state of education at the moment. Those who think teaching is easy or that teachers being overworked is a myth should think about the teaching experience their kids are getting today.

You could try supply teaching for a bit, choose your hours and then if you like somewhere you can negotiate regular hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back