Leicester Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
10:35 from York,, that was a typo so we'll be on the same train as far as Sheffield. Sure we'll be able to sort something out for the last section

I have one of those special tickets and we are on the same train at York, so we upgrade and stay on to derby??

Any pubs sorted yet lads ?

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leicester_city/

Where To Drink?

The ground is walkable from the city centre (15-20 minutes), where there are plenty of pubs to be found. Most of the pubs near to the stadium are home fans only. In particular 'The F Bar'should be avoided by visiting supporters, plus the 'Symphony Rooms' located just over the road from the away end. On a brighter note there is the Soaring Eagle Spur Steak and Grill, which has a bar which admits away fans. It also has the added advantage of having BT Sport available. It is located next to the Holiday Inn Express just across the road from the Club Superstore (see advert below).

Andy Jobson a visiting Southampton fan informs me; 'Probably the best bet for away fans is the Counting House pub on Freemens Common Road. It has a good mix of both sets of supporters, with all the normal facilities on offer'. Beaumont Fox adds; 'This pub is located just off the Aylestone Road, behind the Local Hero pub (home fans only) and next to Morrisons Supermarket. It does though exclude away supporters when the game is deemed to be a 'high profile' one'. David Moore adds; 'If away fans fancy a quiet drink in a CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed pub then the Swan & Rushes (on Infirmary Square, near the Royal Infirmary) always has excellent guest ales on'. Also is the same area as the Swan & Rushes (about a 15 minute walk away from the King Power Stadium), is the Kings Head on King Street, which is another CAMRA Good Beer Guide listed pub.
For those arriving by train, then as you come out of the main entrance turn left and cross to the other side and there you will find 'The Hind' which is rather a basic pub, but does have real ales. A better bet may be the Wetherspoons pub called the 'Last Plantagenet'. If you turn right out of the station and cross the road and turn left into Granby Street, then this pub is down on the left. Also not far away from the station in the general direction the ground, is 'The Pub' which located on New Walk. This modern bar boasts 15 hand pumps for real ale (many of which are supplied by local microbreweries), plus continental biers and lagers as well as cider too. The pub also serves food.

Otherwise alcohol is available inside the stadium, however this can be a bit of a 'hit and miss affair' depending on which team you support. Richard Aquilina a visiting Bristol Rovers fan explains; 'Certainly alcohol wasn't available in the away end on our visit. The pumps were covered with black bags and the signs were covered with cardboard! When I enquired further it appears that alcohol is not sold for high profile games. By high profile I think they mean more than a few hundred fans as there obviously isn't any history between Leicester and Rovers as this is the first time we met at this level'. If you are lucky enough that alcohol is available then it is in the form of; Lager, Bitter, Cider (all £3.70). Plus bottles of Singha (£3).

From there forum

"Yeah I'd recommend the Counting House for a drink before/after the game"

"Can be an absolute pig to get served in the Counting House before the game!!!"

"The Counting House shows the footy, takes ages to get served though. Don't go to the Local Hero, run by total arseholes who don't deserve customers."

"Not many other away friendly pubs I can think of. Think you'd get in the Dry Dock"

"dry dock is where i usually go pre game, rarely see an away fan but it's out the way if you're going from the station"

"Yep, New Road Inn or the Dry Dock should be alright. There is also a burger van situated outside the Dry Dock if you are in a real hurry! They are a bit of a diversion but not awful - turn left out of the station and up the hill. At the top of the hill cross Vicky Park and carry on Victoria Park Road until you hit the cross roads with Welford Road. New Road Inn is down and to your left (you can see it from the junction) and the Dry Dock is over the Cross Roads a little way. You are then less than 10 minutes walk from the ground."

"Drink in Oasis then walk to the ground."

"Goto the Hind opposite the station. Loads of away fans they serve hot dogs on match days. 20 min walk to the ground"

"There's a chippy and tj's burgers next door to each other on route to the ground,across from leicester tigers ground,you might be just aswell gettin a drink in the ground"

(Follow on to above) "The chippy is fantastic, one of the best I've been in and cheap too. I take the train in from Nottingham for home games and always use it. It's on Aylestone Road, can't miss it if you take a direct route from station to ground."

"Avoid Market Tavern!"

Looks like I've fucked my train up, I'm going via sheffield. You're stuck in Derby for a bit aren't you?

13:35 York to Sheffield
11:29: Sheffield to Leicester

17:30 Leciester to Derby
18:13 Derby to York.

If you booked wrong time going down, give them a ring. Not sure if they will charge you to amend, or whether it'll be cheaper to buy a new one. Either way, give me a PM

If you booked wrong time going down, give them a ring. Not sure if they will charge you to amend, or whether it'll be cheaper to buy a new one. Either way, give me a PM

Cheers mate, think it'll be cheaper to get a new ticket ffor part of the journey.

The time I put from York was a typo, I'm on the 10-35

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back