Luck

the dude

Striker
Whilst I acknowledge we've been shite lately and I want Beale gone watching the highlights shows we have nowt but bad luck. Seen defenders smashing the ball into their own net over the last two matchdays and yet the Huddersfield defender hits it straight at his own keeper. Yesterday both their goals came from spawny deflections, especially the 1st. The Birmingham players shot was scuffed and was going to go harmlessly wide until it hit Onien on the ground and of course it went straight to another of their players.

Our coach thought Burstow was the best option as our striker! Our forwards were playing like a bunch of agoraphobics on lsd./most goals come from mistakes of some kind (ours did)and involve an element of luck......We were shocking yesterday especially in second half and any other team in the top 8 would have beaten Birmingham yesterday.....we are doomed under beale and everybody except our owners know this..its not as if we were not warned!
all is not lost though even now ..a bold decision by our owners could still give us a chance of the playoffs ......its the hope that gets you in the end !im hoping they shove mundle in as striker (hes tall and puts himself about)and styles is a revelation in midfield!Dear dear me we have gone from the best footballing safc side i have ever seen to bealball ..our owners have shot us in the foot with a howitzer.

We haven't been playing well for a long time, even in the last two wins at home we didn't look good. Our players look under pressure and its not surprising considering we have no real leaders on the pitch anymore. playing in front of big crowds, poor man management, the tactics not fitting our current type of players from the head coach, bringing in yet another set of players who won't improve the squad in the last transfers window ..No its not back luck, its just bad....

Whilst I acknowledge we've been shite lately and I want Beale gone watching the highlights shows we have nowt but bad luck. Seen defenders smashing the ball into their own net over the last two matchdays and yet the Huddersfield defender hits it straight at his own keeper. Yesterday both their goals came from spawny deflections, especially the 1st. The Birmingham players shot was scuffed and was going to go harmlessly wide until it hit Onien on the ground and of course it went straight to another of their players.
I tend to agree. Luck in sport plays a more important role than many care to admit, moreso in football given the relatively low number of scoring points (goals, in this case, obviously) that tend to settle outcomes (cf tennis, basketball etc.).

Moreover, the closer the skill gap between the teams, the greater the influence of luck. The skill gap between teams in The Championship is, in my view, small.

Thus, I light my daily votive Black Cat Candle* & pray:

I invoke thee,
Gods of abundance,
Draw points & luck towards our team,
May abundance flow freely in their play,
Now and forever.
Amen.

* The Black Cat Candle, resembling the ancient symbols of the Egyptian Goddess Bast superimposed with the visage of Bob Stokoe, offers a powerful addition to your rituals and candle magic, aiding in banishing and destroying negative influences....

I presume it wasn't luck that the entire Plymouth wall jumped out the way when Ekwah trundled a free kick towards them the other week, nor was it luck when no Plymouth defender fancied going near Bellingham and letting him jog 20 yards into the box and shoot on his strong foot.

No luck when the Boro keeper let Rusyn's simple effort underneath him. No luck when Burstow headed a chance from two yards at a defender against Stoke and it bounced in etc.

Always goes against us does luck.

I presume it wasn't luck that the entire Plymouth wall jumped out the way when Ekwah trundled a free kick towards them the other week, nor was it luck when no Plymouth defender fancied going near Bellingham and letting him jog 20 yards into the box and shoot on his strong foot.

No luck when the Boro keeper let Rusyn's simple effort underneath him. No luck when Burstow headed a chance from two yards at a defender against Stoke and it bounced in etc.

Always goes against us does luck.
The Boro one is luck, the Plymouth examples are poor play by them. To me there's a difference.

The Boro one is luck, the Plymouth examples are poor play by them. To me there's a difference.

I mean I'd say a wall jumping out the way of a shit free kick is quite lucky for us no?

If you don't think the two goals we conceded were piss poor defensively yesterday (much like Plymouth defensively against us) and were down to luck then I guess that's up to you but it's just ignoring what happened.

For their first goal we gave the ball away in the box and Patterson pushes the ball out centrally. For the second if Hume doesn't get skinned we don't concede, if O'Nien wakes up and isn't walking back with his back to the ball and gets back into position earlier we don't concede and if Patterson comes for the ball like he should then we don't concede.

Last edited:
We haven't been playing well for a long time, even in the last two wins at home we didn't look good. Our players look under pressure and its not surprising considering we have no real leaders on the pitch anymore. playing in front of big crowds, poor man management, the tactics not fitting our current type of players from the head coach, bringing in yet another set of players who won't improve the squad in the last transfers window ..No its not back luck, its just bad....
Very true but you cannot play for 18 months without a competent striker and rely on your wingers and midfield to win your games for you on a consistent basis..its bonkers!and we all know where the blame lies but there is nowt we can do about it.

Last edited:
Yeah I think we’ve been really unlucky in the transfer market and Beale hasn’t had any luck since he replaced Mowbray. The club is cursed, has been for years!

Ipswich and Hull defeats both involved nasty deflections.

Back