Male Suicide debate on the BBC

What do people think about this exchange, the bloke is putting the point across that Male suicide is the biggest killer for men under 50, yet all the young lass can come out with is" but Women"
I find this an incredibly sad exchange, and maybe illustrates why Men don't come forward with their problems.
The bloke is 100% correct the double standards are clear for all to see. Straight, white men are privileged probably bigoted racists and everything is their fault so we won't bother with them.

What do people think about this exchange, the bloke is putting the point across that Male suicide is the biggest killer for men under 50, yet all the young lass can come out with is" but Women"
I find this an incredibly sad exchange, and maybe illustrates why Men don't come forward with their problems.
Is this the one who Fox and Wootton had a good chortle about before they set about each other?

Last edited:
It shows how difficult it is to have a genuine discussion about real issues. She'll have been invited on to the show to give her perspective and appears to have felt the need to shoe horn a feminist angle in to any topic.

The clip doesn't explain what she does support though and that's for a ministerial brief looking into young mens mental health.

Haven't heard the exchange so don't know exactly what went on, but need to say despair and suicide, prejudice, victims of abuse, war etc is not a competition. One does not trump the other. So if the discussion is about the horrors of male suicide then there is no need to try and dilute that with but but but.

Haven't heard the exchange so don't know exactly what went on, but need to say despair and suicide, prejudice, victims of abuse, war etc is not a competition. One does not trump the other. So if the discussion is about the horrors of male suicide then there is no need to try and dilute that with but but but.
Absolutely, spot on mate

He should have asked her which sex is overwhelmingly doing most of the work on the front line in Ukraine.
Like I said one victim does not trump another, it is not a competition. Everyone is a victim in war. Fighting on the front line is not a "job" in so much as everyone, man woman and child is fighting, in their own way to repel the invaders. Everyone is liable to be killed, have a bomb dropped on their heads, suffer terrible hardships through lack of food, amenities, access to education, grief etc. Nope, not going to play those little games and play top trumps over war

Like I said one victim does not trump another, it is not a competition. Everyone is a victim in war. Fighting on the front line is not a "job" in so much as everyone, man woman and child is fighting, in their own way to repel the invaders. Everyone is liable to be killed, have a bomb dropped on their heads, suffer terrible hardships through lack of food, amenities, access to education, grief etc. Nope, not going to play those little games and play top trumps over war
I was being simplistic as was she and she was also being stereotypical.

Very well said.

Chip on shoulder that lass - crucial point under debate and she spins it to ā€œā€¦. but , but women ā€œ

I think sheā€™s used the exposure for her cause which give the topic is frankly selfish.

Back