Marsden Rock - shipwrecks

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit further along but there is something that looks like a bit of a ship sticking out of the sea, I used to tell my daughter it was a pirate ship wreck but I don't know if I made it up.

It's a bit further along but there is something that looks like a bit of a ship sticking out of the sea, I used to tell my daughter it was a pirate ship wreck but I don't know if I made it up.
When the tides out you can see the remnants of a wreck next to the shields pier.
Years old that one.

My great granda used to know all about the smugglers activities down there. He had a smuggler's diary or summat, I can't remember exactly. He reckoned there was a cave full of booty that was sealed off by a rock fall. One day he went to explore it but the roof got lower and lower until he feared that he might get stuck, so he bottled it. Who knows, it might still be there....

I can confirm I have been wrecked at Marsden Grotto, circa 2001
This joke done, circa page 1

My great granda used to know all about the smugglers activities down there. He had a smuggler's diary or summat, I can't remember exactly. He reckoned there was a cave full of booty that was sealed off by a rock fall. One day he went to explore it but the roof got lower and lower until he feared that he might get stuck, so he bottled it. Who knows, it might still be there....
Do you think he was down the docks looking for booty and the story got confused?

Bloke i used to work with had loads of stories about the smuggling that went on.....his grandad was the lookout or somthing like that.

I used to have a painting of a ship.

Brig aground at Marsden Rock (watercolour, bodycolour and pencil on paper on card))
Creator
Cleet, James Henry (1840-1913)
Nationality
British
Description
Cleet, James Henry drawing, watercolour, bodycolour and pencil on paper (on card), entitled Brig aground at Marsden Rock, by the artist James Henry Cleet
A two-masted ship, known as a brig, has run aground on the sands at Marsden Rock at South Shields.
Planks of wood littering the beach beside the cliff suggest that another ship has been wrecked in a storm.
This is one of many views recording North East life painted by James Cleet.
He was an amateur watercolour painter in South Shields.
South Shields Museum & Art Gallery, South Shields, UK
Medium
watercolour, bodycolour and pencil on paper (on card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back