Masterchef

Is it just me who gets pissed off that former contestants suddenly think they’re Gordon Ramsay when judging current contestants food?

You were on Masterchef, you haven’t suddenly become a well trained and experienced chef.

Really pisses me off when someone who was a teacher a year ago thinks they’re an expert.

“The rice needed 20 seconds more and hold off a smidge on the Miso” fuck off man.

Last edited:

Loads of the winners and finalists have done extremely well over the years.

Aye. Not all of them like.

One of them, think he got down to the final four one year, ended up knocking up Sunday dinners at my ex's da's pub.

Edit: that was Masterchef Professionals actually. Nee way did he get down to the final four either.

Loads of the winners and finalists have done extremely well over the years.

I get that but that’s not my point.

They are not trained on flavours and techniques etc.

Put it this way would I rather try Tom Kerridge food or that bloke who was just on there with the daft tache?

It’s a no brainer

Put it this way would I rather try Tom Kerridge food or that bloke who was just on there with the daft tache?

It’s a no brainer

What's that got to do with it? The whole point of the round is that former contestants give their opinions. It has nothing to do with Tom Kerridge. They meet trained chefs later in the competition.

It’s a no brainer
I think most of them will learn a lot regarding techniques etc. in the subsequent years. Even the food critics have differing opinions sometimes, so I’m not really sure what your point is on that one.

Watched it for the first time in years last night
Apart from a couple of them was genuinely shocked how bad some of them were
Some right weird flavour combos

Is it just me who gets pissed off that former contestants suddenly think they’re Gordon Ramsay when judging current contestants food?

You were on Masterchef, you haven’t suddenly become a well trained and experienced chef.

Really pisses me off when someone who was a teacher a year ago thinks they’re an expert.

“The rice needed 20 seconds more and hold off a smidge on the Miso” fuck off man.
I thought that last night. they were far too severe in their criticism.

they should recall the contestants are in training so to speak, so they need encouragement as well as training.

Like you, I thought the comment about the steak needing 30 seconds more was way out of line.

While I definitely get what the op said (some are right pretentious twats at times) I can only think that some of the contestants come from quite privileged backgrounds to have the skills and depth of knowledge they have especially when they are so young (that pretty blonde lass from Leeds for instance) they must have been to a lot of good restaurants and probably done cookery courses/seminars/retreats, which isn't something your average Joe would do. A bit like the Celebrity Dancing thing it's the ones that progress from being a bit sketchy to well rounded cooks that impresse me more, but they often get kicked off before that happens unfortunately, I think they often judge what the people are like as well as the food (as if it's what they will become as much as what they are cooking) and slant their judgement in that direction, just my honest opinion.

While I definitely get what the op said (some are right pretentious twats at times) I can only think that some of the contestants come from quite privileged backgrounds to have the skills and depth of knowledge they have especially when they are so young (that pretty blonde lass from Leeds for instance) they must have been to a lot of good restaurants and probably done cookery courses/seminars/retreats, which isn't something your average Joe would do. A bit like the Celebrity Dancing thing it's the ones that progress from being a bit sketchy to well rounded cooks that impresse me more, but they often get kicked off before that happens unfortunately, I think they often judge what the people are like as well as the food (as if it's what they will become as much as what they are cooking) and slant their judgement in that direction, just my honest opinion.
you may well be correct, however I look at it, in what or how have they been brought up around food. A lot of contestants say they were brought up around food by their parents or grandparents. Mind some say that when they moved out of their parents home, they started to develop a passion for cooking. Either way they must have developed the taste buds when they were younger. Could it be, that a parent who opens a can of beans and makes some toast, that their child is not so interested in food as a parent who makes a tasty stew for example.

There was also a post on here earlier that stated a lot of contestants who were of an Asia heritage, were making curry style dishes dishes or at least using the spices and herbs of Asia (a gift I would love to have but do not). Is that because they were brought up around these spices and herbs. Would that lean towards what the children were shown as youngsters.

When our grandson was young we used to deliberately take him to a restaurant to eat. to get him used to that culture and when at ours he always eats his meals at the table. Even now he is an adult he always eats at the table. Our young grandaughter is the same. Before school she would eat chilli, mild curries, lamb with mint etc. Now she refuses to eat such food. Is it her taste buds are developing or is she taking a lead from school dinners. However she does always sit at the table and sets the table correctly when asked to help.

Back