Northumbria University - Breaking news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not strictly true. It is the land north of the Humber, an ancient kingdom of pre-Norman Britain, along with Mercia, Anglia, Wessex and other such long lost places.

We don't talk about how far south Northumbria used to stretch marra

Handed in me dissertation last Thursday so I hope it's not me.

What were it on, mate.

' The Absence of White Dog Shite from the areas of Seaham, Peterlee, and Washington'

Or was is some trivial parcel of muck that nowt gives a fork about,like ' The place of the left cortex of the brain in human behaviour' ?

Northumberland is a county, Northumbria is an ancient kingdom and description of a larger geographical area used mainly for tourism purposes.

It could be argued that County Durham is part of Northumbria (being north of the Humber) but I won't argue it because to do so would unleash the dogs of pure SMB outrage
Is Northumbria not a county though... Northumbria police force, Northumbria army cadet force etc...?

When you did competitions as a youngun did you not compete for a county, I always remember it being Northumbria rather than Northumberland?

Last edited:
Is Northumbria not a county though... Northumbria police force, Northumbria army cadet force etc...?

When you did competitions as a youngun did you not compete for a county, I always remember it being Northumbria rather than Northumberland?

Dunno. Does Northumbria police cover an area larger than Northumberland? Maybe University of Northumbria sounds better to International MBA students from China than Newcastle Polytechnic.

I competed for North West County Durham. I was a very specific competitor.

Northumbria isn't a county it's just a geographical region...I think?

Humberside for example. They have a police force but they cover two ceremonial counties, and about four local authorities.

Northumberland is a county, Northumbria is an ancient kingdom and description of a larger geographical area used mainly for tourism purposes.

It could be argued that County Durham is part of Northumbria (being north of the Humber) but I won't argue it because to do so would unleash the dogs of pure SMB outrage

No need to argue it's a fact.

Northumbria was created when the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms of Deira and Bernice were united by Etherlfrith in the early 7th century.

It was the birthplace of the English as we know them to an extent and at the time a leading light for knowledge and learning.

Dunno. Does Northumbria police cover an area larger than Northumberland? Maybe University of Northumbria sounds better to International MBA students from China than Newcastle Polytechnic.

I competed for North West County Durham. I was a very specific competitor.
Nah you were just a regionals, not high enough to compete for the county iirc ;)

Northumbria was an ancient kingdom like Mercia. Mercia was inhabited by "blackcats", who spoke with such impenetrable verbosity that nobody could understand them, so they mostly died out. Only the odd one or two remain alive today. @Mercia Blackcat

:D

Attention to detail mate. How could Alfred have ever written the Anglo Saxon Chronicles without it. Well, apart from the details he deliberately left out such as the more active role Mercians played in his battle with the Danes. The Blackcats of Mercia, and there are several on this board under other names, are Northumbrian exiles and now in this new post truth world we live in, have had our citizenship removed and been declared illegal immigrants. I hope Northumbria is prepared for our homecoming before Mercia places a wall or dykes on the border. They are good with dykes. Many the time I have sought refuge in a Mercian dyke. Comly wenches if not quite as feminine as one would prefer.

Be amazed if was owt else, happened around the time of the thread. Can't think of anything else mildly controversial happening aside from people being laid off.

Still called that officially.

Certainly better than being called this.

www.geocities.ws/cityuni1992

The best of it is even after Northumbria's cock up (City University of Newcastle upon Tyne), Newcastle University themselves nearly fell into the same trap.

They registered "Central University of Newcastle upon Tyne" and "Research University of Newcastle upon Tyne" :lol:

No scandals at Lord Rowell' favourite establishment (Sunderland).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back