Pallion Shipyards ➡️ World Class Film Studios

Ran past along the new road the other day and the size of it will be huge. The proposed water studios at the dry dock would compliment it nicely and would make that whole stretch a massive TV and film hub.
Don't realise how massive Pallion is until you are close to it

There also looked to be a few classic Minis and other old cars in a sorry state at the back of the old ahipyards

Ran past along the new road the other day and the size of it will be huge. The proposed water studios at the dry dock would compliment it nicely and would make that whole stretch a massive TV and film hub.
Don't realise how massive Pallion is until you are close to it

There also looked to be a few classic Minis and other old cars in a sorry state at the back of the old ahipyards
Another Italian Job remake?

Im sure the climbing wall is staying? At least for the first phase. Printers is defo going though.

If anyone has been to Media City in Salford it is just like this. Similar to Nissan - its like a campus with support businesses around it. There's a pub there called the Dockyard (or summit) gets full of news readers, Corrie actors, weathermen etc....
I was going to mention Media City at Salford Quays. Since the BBC moved there ITV have as well and there's a load of associated companies such as production companies in the area too. As well as the TV industry the whole area has new housing, office blocks, the Lowry theatre, a new shopping centre, the Imperial War museum. The redevelopment of the old canal docks started before the TV companies arrived but it's been a massive boon for the area and they've just announced more plans to improve the riverside area with new parks etc. I think this is an absolutely huge opportunity for Sunderland.
Just wondering if the schools will tweak their curriculums now to gear the kids up for work in the studio's.
I can see secondary schools bringing more media aligned courses/activities though in fairness with the way the world is going they should probably be doing that anyway. But it will be great for schools to arrange trips there, work experience etc to show kids there's a great industry on their doorstep who'll be looking for professionals from all kinds of careers to work on the site.

Last edited:
I was going to mention Media City at Salford Quays. Since the BBC moved there ITV have as well and there's a load of associated companies such as production companies in the area too. As well as the TV industry the whole area has new housing, office blocks, the Lowry theatre, a new shopping centre, the Imperial War museum. The redevelopment of the old canal docks started before the TV companies arrived but it's been a massive boon for the area and they've just announced more plans to improve the riverside area with new parks etc. I think this is an absolutely huge opportunity for Sunderland.

I can see secondary schools bringing more media aligned courses/activities though in fairness with the way the world is going they should probably be doing that anyway. But it will be great for schools to arrange trips there, work experience etc to show kids there's a great industry on their doorstep who'll be looking for professionals from all kinds of careers to work on the site.
theres a few articles on it written over the years - heres one and the similarities with Sunderland (10+ years regeneration) is uncanny to what we are going through now

theres a few articles on it written over the years - heres one and the similarities with Sunderland (10+ years regeneration) is uncanny to what we are going through now

The difference is Manchester was already a primary city in the north-west, we are a secondary city in the north-east, the hope is developers look at Sunderland now as a viable area of investment, rather then further development of Newcastle.

The main thing we are going to need in the short term is hotel rooms as from what I can see their is only about 600 beds in Sunderland, and I suspect we are going to need at least another 5 times that when the Film Studio is complete, especially when you see how hard it can be to book a city centre hotel when there is a big show on at the theatre.

The difference is Manchester was already a primary city in the north-west, we are a secondary city in the north-east, the hope is developers look at Sunderland now as a viable area of investment, rather then further development of Newcastle.

The main thing we are going to need in the short term is hotel rooms as from what I can see their is only about 600 beds in Sunderland, and I suspect we are going to need at least another 5 times that when the Film Studio is complete, especially when you see how hard it can be to book a city centre hotel when there is a big show on at the theatre.
My big concern if we don't have enough quality hotel space, people will just stay in Newcastle and no benefit to Sunderland. Even now away fans will head for Newcastle rather than stay in Sunderland although that is slowly changing. The Echo24 building should have been a hotel, similar to Gateshead Hilton. As you say, developers will hopefully see Sunderland as potential. The Northern Spire and road into the city centre, that is massive now, the bridge to nowhere as the knockers would have us belief. Looking forward to the next few years.

My big concern if we don't have enough quality hotel space, people will just stay in Newcastle and no benefit to Sunderland. Even now away fans will head for Newcastle rather than stay in Sunderland although that is slowly changing. The Echo24 building should have been a hotel, similar to Gateshead Hilton. As you say, developers will hopefully see Sunderland as potential. The Northern Spire and road into the city centre, that is massive now, the bridge to nowhere as the knockers would have us belief. Looking forward to the next few years.

I think Hylton will benefit massively from the studio. It's a semi rural location which is a kick in the arse away on the Metro. If I had money I'd be buying property there and in Offerton.

Back