Roker park crest

DH1

Midfield
Anyone over a certain age remember when the club badge went from a yellow wave to a white wave on the badge or vice versa?

It appears after some research the score draw modern release shirts have a yellow wave from 88-1991 but the original hummel ones I've found online have a white wave.

Last edited:
Badge on Umbro shirts had yellow wave and brown ball (77-81), Le Coq Sportif (81-83) ball became black and wave white and stayed the same under Nike (83-86) Patrick (86-88). Hummel stayed the same (88-91) but badge became black instead of blue behind white ship with a white ball 91-93) and remained that way with Avec until the new badge arrived with Asics 98.

The new SOL badge has also had many different variations and was only standardised recently I think. My pal who posts on here knows a lot about it and its quite intresting.

Sunderland plagued with badge inaccuracies forever

The new SOL badge has also had many different variations and was only standardised recently I think. My pal who posts on here knows a lot about it and its quite intresting.

There's been no variations like.

Some embroiders missed the centre section of the Wear Bridge but I think that was more oversight / lack of quality control than owt else.

Part of the reason behind the 'new' badge was to take control of the trademark on merchandising.

There's been no variations like.

Some embroiders missed the centre section of the Wear Bridge but I think that was more oversight / lack of quality control than owt else.

Part of the reason behind the 'new' badge was to take control of the trademark on merchandising.

What he’s referring to is the crest being recreated outwith the club and therefore the wrong version is often used - even in the mainstream media like Sky Sports. If you google our crest you’ll see there are 3 or 4 different versions of it.

Too hard to stitch the new badge on kits in the early days, so was a bit out of proportion - the banners with writing in longer than they shoulf have been etc
Anyone over a certain age remember when the club badge went from a yellow wave to a white wave on the badge or vice versa?
Thought it was going to be about the city crest on the Main Stand enterance at Roker. Should have been put somewhere in the main enterance of the SoL - instead the club sold it to a fan for a tenner or sonething.
(Likewise the Main Stand laticework should have been put in the ground, instead of rotting in the car park)

Last edited:
Too hard to stitch the new badge on kits in the early days, so was a bit out of proportion - the banners with writing in longer than they shoulf have been etc

Thought it was going to be about the city crest on the Main Stand enterance at Roker. Should have been put somewhere in the main enterance of the SoL - instead the club sold it to a fan for a tenner or sonething.
(Likewise the Main Stand laticework should have been put in the ground, instead of rotting in the car park)

It wasn't included in the auction and I asked about it when I went to Roker to enquire about my SOL season ticket.
I was told that the club had forgotten to put in the auction and i bought it for £50 + £20 to the auctioneers assistant to get it down.
I still have it in a glass case on my office wall.

Back