South Tyneside Bin Strike

This dispute has nothing to do with the Government.

It’s a local issue that is not being resolved.
I agree wholeheartedly. However, it's also got fuck all to do with the political slant of the Council.

It's a dispute between staff and some senior management, nothing to do with the elected members. Which for some reason people don't seem to understand.

Given it's gone on for so long and it appears both sides are refusing to move there'll be all sorts of legal shite involved which is likely costing a fortune as well.

Last edited:
Doubt it. I don't know what the legislation is around waste collection but you'll probably find that Councils arent obliged to collect waste directly from individual properties.

Id suggest people get used to it cos we'll move to central waste collection points in estates, villages, towns eventually where it's up to the residents to take their own waste to a central collection place....and if you want it picked up from your door it'll be at an additional cost.
Agree with that can see an additional charge for your general waste to be collected from your door probably once a month similar to the garden waste. Feckers will try the same for the recycling as well

Agree with that can see an additional charge for your general waste to be collected from your door probably once a month similar to the garden waste. Feckers will try the same for the recycling as well
Once one Council has the balls to try it, they'll all go. I might suggest it in SCC on the understanding I get 10% cut of the savings

Once one Council has the balls to try it, they'll all go. I might suggest it in SCC on the understanding I get 10% cut of the savings

Doubt they could, I think it's a statutory service and charging would be counterproductive as they'd spend more cleaning up all the fly tipping.

No doubt some may try a workaround though, given the state of local government funding.

Doubt they could, I think it's a statutory service and charging would be counterproductive as they'd spend more cleaning up all the fly tipping.

No doubt some may try a workaround though, given the state of local government funding.
Yep, you're correct just had a quick look. Some environmental act states has to be collected from domestic property unless access is so difficult that it would be cost prohibitive to do so.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, it's also got fuck all to do with the political slant of the Council.

It's a dispute between staff and some senior management, nothing to do with the elected members. Which for some reason people don't seem to understand.

Given it's gone on for so long and it appears both sides are refusing to move there'll be all sorts of legal shite involved which is likely costing a fortune as well.
So youre trying to tell me the leader of STC wont be involved?
Other senior Council members wont be involved?
The Councillor in charge of recycling wont be involved.

So what are they doing...the same they normally do and hope it goes away before something bad happens???

Bin men are working next week but they will be collecting rubbish only.

No recycling pick ups at all next week.

And they are on strike again from 2nd April so no collections that week.

If you can, use the skips this weekend to get rid of recycling

Back