Sunderland Owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfus Is In Talks With A US Financial Group About A £20million Loan

We attract young international kids (who we think with a little polish might make them and us some lolly )with promises of jam tomorrow...and we pay peanuts!We are a puppy farm with no regard for the team itself ..if four left wingers became available (unlikely i know)at the same time at a cheap price and we calculated there was a profit in it we would hire them in a shot and bugger the squad .....Were not targeting players in an organised systematic way to support the team ...Were buying players like tins of beans and waiting for the price to go up........Until the point is reached where we focus on the team and hire accordingly to improve the team going forward we are doomed to stay in this division (if were lucky) for a very long time.
Spot on. That is why the squad is so lop sided, they do not buy players to cover blatantly void areas. Just whoever is young, cheap, on low wages and could possibly be sold at a profit down the line. It's coming home to roost now.

Spot on. That is why the squad is so lop sided, they do not buy players to cover blatantly void areas. Just whoever is young, cheap, on low wages and could possibly be sold at a profit down the line. It's coming home to roost now.
Next season will be the eye opener for many ...they have the chance and time to recruit a decent manager ,they have enough time to source better players .........lets see what our squad looks like come the end of the first window......will our manager be a cardboard cut out of beale ,will we have some experience in the forward areas,midfield and defence or will it be more of the same mediocre shir*......I do fear who we will lose next season !and if we lose some of them to our promotion rivals it will be the last straw for me .............Something has to change at the heart of our club or i fear for our future as a footballing entity and next season will be the catalyst in my book but i do fear the worst as fanatics and thats what speakman and KLD appear to be with respect to their model usually cling on to the bitter end!
I agree- though it seems wages werent the issue with Pritchard, Baath etc., rather length of contract. which to me seems short sighted, considering that even as they are pushed out of the team, older players still have useful qualities as backup and subs
Yep your right!but again its the Dogmatic approach to the model and failure to look at at the teams circumstances at the time....... we obviously have a wage bill cap and knowing us a remit to bring it down and a willingness to get rid of players with no resale value of the wage bill.......fiscal sense but footballing idiocy of the highest water.

Last edited:
Next season will be the eye opener for many ...they have the chance and time to recruit a decent manager ,they have enough time to source better players .........lets see what our squad looks like come the end of the first window......will our manager be a cardboard cut out of beale ,will we have some experience in the forward areas,midfield and defence or will it be more of the same mediocre shir*......I do fear who we will lose next season !and if we lose some of them to our promotion rivals it will be the last straw for me .............Something has to change at the heart of our club or i fear for our future as a footballing entity and next season will be the catalyst in my book but i do fear the worst as fanatics and thats what speakman and KLD appear to be with respect to their model usually cling on to the bitter end!

Yep your right!but again its the Dogmatic approach to the model and failure to look at at the teams circumstances at the time....... we obviously have a wage bill cap and knowing us a remit to bring it down and a willingness to get rid of players with no resale value of the wage bill.......fiscal sense but footballing idiocy of the highest water.
I agree i would also point out is that the problem with a approach based on statistics is that it's always going to be biased based on what statistics you consider to be important.
One reason we seem to end up with so many wingers/number 10s for instance, is that we focus on winger attributes (dribbles, crosses etc.)
Striker and centre midfielder attributes don't seem to show up as much (because some of the most successful strikers don't rely seem to do much else- positioning to receive the ball in goal scoring areas is going to difficult to get data on without quality scouting (I have a feeling that a player like Darren Bent wouldn't be picked up by our model for instance.
Additionally with CBs, there seems to be a focus on ball playing that ignores basic defender attributes.

I agree i would also point out is that the problem with a approach based on statistics is that it's always going to be biased based on what statistics you consider to be important.
One reason we seem to end up with so many wingers/number 10s for instance, is that we focus on winger attributes (dribbles, crosses etc.)
Striker and centre midfielder attributes don't seem to show up as much (because some of the most successful strikers don't rely seem to do much else- positioning to receive the ball in goal scoring areas is going to difficult to get data on without quality scouting (I have a feeling that a player like Darren Bent wouldn't be picked up by our model for instance.
Additionally with CBs, there seems to be a focus on ball playing that ignores basic defender attributes.
foot ball is like no other business ! everything is always judged in hindsight!Far far to many variables to cater for by ane predictive mechanistic analysis!Literally nobody and i mean nobody (except that fan that made his yearly pre season idiotic bet)would have put money on (before a ball was kicked)on Leicester winning the prem!and no stats would have put that team together either!....... stats are fine in a supporting role but you need input from the person setting up the team before purchasing any player!

foot ball is like no other business ! everything is always judged in hindsight!Far far to many variables to cater for by ane predictive mechanistic analysis!Literally nobody and i mean nobody (except that fan that made his yearly pre season idiotic bet)would have put money on (before a ball was kicked)on Leicester winning the prem!and no stats would have put that team together either!....... stats are fine in a supporting role but you need input from the person setting up the team before purchasing any player!
Good example. I don't want to say that statistics are useless- they can help- we've identitified some really quality players- but it has to be integrated with tried and tested methods- Leicester's title win was based on a number of factors coming together- I mean as a team they had a lot in common with Reid's team for us- A ludicrously prolific striker who came from nowhere for instance- But for LEicester they managed to find a world class cm in Kante- had a manager who had always been quality but just absoloutely shone- playing with a simple system that no team in England remembered how to play against- with solid if not necesarrily spectacular player's who fought for every ball, for every minute in every game- they were magnificant that season just carving straight through teams- who had no idea what to do. Then obviously there was some slight luck in terms of injuries etc.

I think stats can be useful- if we are lucky we might end up finding the next Kante through the- but I think that we probably wouldn't be able to find a player like Phillips, or Vardy through them. Like all systems and models- it has weaknesses, which is why Mowbray et al. talk about Balance so often.

Good example. I don't want to say that statistics are useless- they can help- we've identitified some really quality players- but it has to be integrated with tried and tested methods- Leicester's title win was based on a number of factors coming together- I mean as a team they had a lot in common with Reid's team for us- A ludicrously prolific striker who came from nowhere for instance- But for LEicester they managed to find a world class cm in Kante- had a manager who had always been quality but just absoloutely shone- playing with a simple system that no team in England remembered how to play against- with solid if not necesarrily spectacular player's who fought for every ball, for every minute in every game- they were magnificant that season just carving straight through teams- who had no idea what to do. Then obviously there was some slight luck in terms of injuries etc.

I think stats can be useful- if we are lucky we might end up finding the next Kante through the- but I think that we probably wouldn't be able to find a player like Phillips, or Vardy through them. Like all systems and models- it has weaknesses, which is why Mowbray et al. talk about Balance so often.

You're smoking something which isn't out in the public yet but I want a try of it. Steve Walsh was 1 hit wonder at Leicester, moved to Everton and signed alot of dudds which is pretty much why they're in the position they are in, and he's found his services so limited he's at a club in the MLS.

You're smoking something which isn't out in the public yet but I want a try of it. Steve Walsh was 1 hit wonder at Leicester, moved to Everton and signed alot of dudds which is pretty much why they're in the position they are in, and he's found his services so limited he's at a club in the MLS.

recruitment is hard like, people always make it sound so easy, but it isn't

we have signed some duds, but Jack Clarke was not wanted anywhere and had numerous shite loans...if we signed him tomorrow people would not be happy, but what a player he is

thats the issue, its hard.

recruitment is hard like, people always make it sound so easy, but it isn't

we have signed some duds, but Jack Clarke was not wanted anywhere and had numerous shite loans...if we signed him tomorrow people would not be happy, but what a player he is

thats the issue, its hard.
jack clark is a wonderful proven player at championship level !There is still a question mark over his ability to perform against prem level defenders who are ,better,fitter ,quicker and stronger than championship defenders .....If he goes i hope he does well but if he goes to a struggling team in the prem im not sure he will have much impact..and prices are coming down because of FFP so i doubt we will get the fees we are hoping for.Personally i think we need a targeted recruitment for people who can actually go directly into team first then buy for the future ..all we appear to be doing is buying for the future!

I'm not sure what your point is. If anything it strengthens mine- which is that a balanced approach to scouting methodology incorporating new data techniques is going to be more successful than trusting in a rigid and ine dimensional method with glaring weaknesses.

Unless Walsh just got lucky over and over again at Leicester (this is a rhetorical question, he didn't) I think it's more likely that Everton just didn't have the structures in place to get the best out of whatever Walsh brings to the table. Basically they just gave him 150 million to spend how he saw fit.

Rather than calling him a 1 hit wonder- which is accurate but unhelpful- what needs to be done is to look at what the differences between his role and the systems at Everton and Leicester were.

Like I'm not arguing we should just give scouts money to sign players themselves (which is what Everton did by making him dof). I'm saying that their qualitative skillset is valuable.

Only two more years of the five year plan to go then...I hope these go like the first two years.
Well the plan has a promotion to the Premier League so that has to happen in the next 2 years or the plan has failed
If the plan fails it was either a load of bollocks or the implementation (and people responsible for it) are not fit for purpose

Well the plan has a promotion to the Premier League so that has to happen in the next 2 years or the plan has failed
If the plan fails it was either a load of bollocks or the implementation (and people responsible for it) are not fit for purpose
I think we all know that the plan HAS failed unless a dramatic and it will have to be a dramatic change of direction, can put the train back on track.

There was never a 5 year plan mate, read that on here, especially when the wheels are starting to come off.

Back