RR Tales From The Crypt: Sunderland 7-0 Oxford, 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTG

After a tough week, A Love Supreme editor Chris Thompson remembers better times. It's been difficult to escape the mention of 8-0 this week. What could have feasibly just been another football match prolonged itself by snowballing into something much more, a debate centred on the consumer-brand relationship, prompted of course by Vito Mannone...

More at Roker Report...

My mate rang from Greece the next day & wouldn't believe me when I told him the score. I enjoyed Alex Rae's goal in particular against Oxford.

Can't forget it my 40th that day, cheerleaders for me outside the Harbour View and onto that match for a 7-0 win !!!!

Was my first home game, I blame them for deceiving me into making me believe we could win like that all the time :lol:

My Dad is always moaning , finding faults with Sunderland - on the way back to the car after the 7-0 win he has criticising our style of play! I just though WTF!

As you can imagine he was delighted last weekend

I lived in Banbury at the time and I listened to the match on bbc radio Oxford and the commentator was crying as the seventh went in.

Halcyon days, were a train at that time. Remember the boxing day game at home v Bradford when we hammered them but only won 2 0. Highly likely that I'm getting my seasons mixed up however.

Was this game not the very first pay per view for football in the UK?

That was an away game at the manor ground. We drew 0 0 IIRC

happy days. also remember it well, sat at my kitchen table in a pokey apartment in Kiev listening to the world service on short wave. and aye, makes me feel old too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back