Tesco in The Bridges to close

Fletch73

Midfield
Been told by two different members of staff that the Tesco store in The Bridges will close in spring/summer next year due to rising rents.
They are looking to open another similar-size store somewhere else in the city centre, not sure where, though.

Been told by two different members of staff that the Tesco store in The Bridges will close in spring/summer next year due to rising rents.
They are looking to open another similar-size store somewhere else in the city centre, not sure where, though.

Would make sense. Can be 24hr if they do.

the jobcentre when they re locate to the new town hall

Is Debenhams under the Bridges management/control (it's on a public right of way i.e. Crowtree Road) if not that might be a decent move as the current Tesco store is deceptively a canny size.
A non-starter. They're looking to turn it into a arcade-type building of independent outlets encompassing leisure, entertainment and food.
the jobcentre when they re locate to the new town hall
A good shout for me but I think they might be looking slightly more central. If they're moving because of rent hikes then a lot will depend on that.

A non-starter. They're looking to turn it into a arcade-type building of independent outlets encompassing leisure, entertainment and food.

A good shout for me but I think they might be looking slightly more central. If they're moving because of rent hikes then a lot will depend on that.

They tried that on a much smaller scale with Northern Goldsmiths - cheap & chatty come to mind

Thats part of the bridges

So no chance of lower rents. The Rev Chris Howson was campaigning in the Market Square a couple of months ago to prevent Tesco downgrading that store from a Metro to an Express - I think the prices might be higher in an Express as it's more of a convenience store than doing a big weekly shop (which people used to do till SCC stopped the free parking in the High Street after 18:00 and around the back)

So no chance of lower rents. The Rev Chris Howson was campaigning in the Market Square a couple of months ago to prevent Tesco downgrading that store from a Metro to an Express - I think the prices might be higher in an Express as it's more of a convenience store than doing a big weekly shop (which people used to do till SCC stopped the free parking in the High Street after 18:00 and around the back)

big weekly shop = £100+.

if a quid or two on parking puts you off it’s weird logic.

You wouldn't do the big shop there anyway given you can't take a trolley to the car (don't think they even have trolleys in that shop). You'd just go to the one at Roker.

I've always thought that one is only any good if you live in the 3 high rise flat blocks in the town centre, anywhere else and your frozen purchases will be thawed by the time you get home. Thought it was more of a scratter's Tesco when I've popped in for the odd purchase.

Store is probably too big as they tend to have set formats. When they say rents are too high it might be due to the total floor space.

might move to ground floor of office developments on Vaux or perhaps new hotel?

Never understood the logic of having a supermarket in the town centre like that personally. Don’t see who would go there with the other options available which are much more convenient and that I wouldn’t have to either carry shopping a fair distance to my car or take home on the bus.

Back